ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Put Billick in the Ring of Honor

vmax

He's earned it. Way more than Ernest Byner.....

The Ravens need to do the right thing and put Billick's name along the facade of M&T Bank Stadium along with the likes of Jonathan Ogden, Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis and Matt Stover. Billick turned the Ravens from a losing franchise into a championship one. The Ravens don't win the first Super Bowl in their history in 2000 without Billick changing the entire mindset of that locker room...

The Ravens had six Pro Bowl players the year before Billick was hired. In one of his first team meetings, he set the tone when he asked them if they wanted to continue to go to Pro Bowls or did they want to win a Super Bowl. An underachieving team with great players soon became a great team with a unified goal.

Critics will say Billick wasn't a great coach in terms of X's and O's. Where Billick excelled was as a master motivator and psychologist. His greatest achievement was keeping the team together in 2000 when the defense was shutting out teams and the offense failed to reach the end zone in five straight games. Not many second-year coaches could have controlled such a delicate situation like Billick.

Teams often take the personality of their coach, and the Ravens certainly did under Billick. He injected swagger and defiance into a team that had no identity. His signature moment came during the 2000 Super Bowl run when the Ravens upset the top-seeded Tennessee Titans. After the game, Billick defended his team’s swagger by exclaiming: "When you go into the lion's den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?'"

There are arguments for why Billick shouldn't be in the Ring of Honor. He didn't win a playoff game in his final six seasons with the Ravens. His accomplishments now pale in comparison to his predecessor John Harbaugh, who is the only coach in NFL history win a playoff game in his first five seasons. http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/9891/billick-deserves-to-be-in-ravens-ring

One more thing that Brian did was bring accountability, organization and structure to the Ravens franchise. He brought this organization from drawing on black boards to the computer age.

And....he stood up to all the haters.

Love him or hate him..."He's Ours".

"Up yours Tagliabu!"

51588265_8.jpg?w=594

Wasn't it Billick's game plan with Boiler to get Heap killed?

Yep. He never saw a tall rec he didn't want to go up high across the back. I bet if Billick had Megatron he would be only going for jump balls.

I'll say I would put Mason in the ring way way before Billick.

Damn skippy.

Billick deserves it, look what he did for us..As well as Harbs should when he steps aside..Billick and Harbs have brought a buzz to the city that hadnt been felt since the late 50's early 60's..

Agree.

No, there was no buzz when Teddy coached us. Billick and Harbs put the buzz here.

So I think almost any coach in 99 was going to get a rising Ravens. Teddy was a great OC but a sry headcoach. We see that all the time. I bet Barry Switzer could have gotten the Ravens going at that point.

So I think almost any coach in 99 was going to get a rising Ravens. Teddy was a great OC but a sry headcoach. We see that all the time. I bet Barry Switzer could have gotten the Ravens going at that point.

Maybe, I do think most anyone would have helped. I'm just goofing off here anyway, personal feelings aside, I think Billick would be a lock for the ring of honor. I cannot really muster much energy to argue for it.

And also while the ROH is a nice thing, its not exactly an super exclusive club.

No, there was no buzz when Teddy coached us. Billick and Harbs put the buzz here.

Me thinks that someone missed Ted's training camp. When Teddy was coach Baltimore wasn't to sure of it's football. Just getting a team back should have been enough buzz to carry for 10 years.

Billick got lucky. IF they put him in, his name should be small and a BIG Ray Lewis name carrying him

He sure as hell knew how to put together a coaching staff. It's sick the number of coaches that he brought in who went on to HC jobs.

Absolutely..

And RM52, there was a buzz getting a team back, we were thankful and grateful for that..But as far as playoff buzz, we didnt have any of that, we felt like Browns fans or Colts fans in late 70's and early 80's.

2 different kind of buzzs here, and Billick and Harbs have supplied the buzz's I want

Absolutely..

And RM52, there was a buzz getting a team back, we were thankful and grateful for that..But as far as playoff buzz, we didnt have any of that, we felt like Browns fans or Colts fans in late 70's and early 80's.

2 different kind of buzzs here, and Billick and Harbs have supplied the buzz's I want

Please stop a attaching Billick's name with a real HC.

Like trying to pass a bill in Washington.