ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ed Reed

Ravensfan1

I love Ed Reed more than anyone but .......Ed will you just shut your mouth please... They are not gonna give you a new deal with these injury problems which honestly i am starting to wonder if you are just trying to hold your availability to play over the teams head. And enough about Bulger. If Smith was that good they would not have wasted money on another back-up qb. and even if they did it has nothing to do with Ed Reed!

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/07/ed_reed_wants_more_support_from_ravens.html

Ed Reed wants more support from Ravens

Ed Reed said repeatedly that he wants more support from the Ravens as he recovers from hip injury, but the Pro Bowl safety declined to indicate the specific problems.

"I haven't had the support from the other side as you think has been there," Reed said after the first day of his football camp in Randallstown. "Ifi I don't say it now, it won't ever get said."

He said there were "minor things" that some people in the organization don't know are happening. He said he wouldn't talk about them to reporters until he has a chance to address them with the Ravens.

"It's like a marriage," Reed said. "There are going to be disagreements. You got to work with that person. When it starts to get too much, you got to pull back [and ask] 'Is it worth it or should I take a pay cut and be on another team?"

Reed clarified that he didn't ask the Ravens for a new contract this year. But he did request one last year.

"The word I got was: 'We're comfortable with where we're at,'" Reed said. "Yes, you would be comfortable with the plays that I'm making on the field and paying me what you're paying me."

Reed continued to express dissatisfaction with his current contract, which has three years remaining.

"There are six, seven players in front of me [financially] at my position that I honestly wouldn't let hold my jock, and I don't even wear one," Reed said.

He also doesn't think a safety should be paid less than a quarterback.

"Peyton Manning doesn't sleep when he sees No. 20 going to Indy," Reed said. "But let alone, he's making $100 [million]."

Reed said he didn't have any "ill will" against the Ravens. He also indicated that he could play eight to 10 more years.

"If it was up to me, I would retire here," Reed said. "Does it always happen? No."

Reed indicated that he would start training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list. He wouldn't put a timetable beyond that.

"Like I told my coach, I'm preparing myself to try to come back for that first game," Reed said. "But who's to say it's going to be the first game against the Jets or the first game in October, November for December. I honestly don't know."

And you can't live without him.

Ed needs to shut up.

First he's speaking in parables....nobody knows what he's trying to say.

Second...he had no problem signing his big deal but he doesn't like it now with 3 years remaining? I think at that time the Ravens made him the highest paid safety in the league. He didn't have to sign that...but he agreed to it. He's getting around $6-7 mil for this season....and the Ravens will pay him even if he only plays 6-8 games.

No GM will throw sick money at a player with a nerve inpingement in his neck and comming off basicly a total hip replacement. He's says he's at 34%....he doesn't know, we don't know, nobody knows if he'll ever be able to reach 70% of his former atheletic ability. Face it...he's falling apart...which is a sad fact of life for people who choose his profession.

Oh...NFL safeties don't get Manning money.

Oh...8-10 more years????

ED...what you need to do is retire before you become a cripple for life.

I used to be the biggest Ed Reed fan as well, but he is just going crazy. The guy has 3 years left in him, max. We should let his contract run out and hopefully he's smart enough to retire. I'm happy too hear he is going on the PUP because I think Hamlin and Zibby can cover for 6 games so Ed can be helpful in the playoffs.

honestly i usually don't complain about players wanting to redo their deals...after all a team can cut a player any time they want but..why would he think they would do that when he himself says things like "honestly i should'nt be playing this year"

This Reed thing has me concerned particularly from a chemistry standpoint. Here we are looking at a very promising season, pieces of the puzzle falling in place, and now Reed starts to mouth off. Somebody needs to give him the gag order.

As our old friend, Sock (rest in peace) used to say, you cant underestimate the importance of character and chemistry.

These are two important core team values that Mr Reed is beginning to undermine.

• Upvote 1

Heres what I dont get, at the time he signed this contract, he was the highest paid safety in the league...He still has 3 more years left on that contract. Why is he fussing??

Ed, you're the best, we all love you, but you signed the deal, you honor the deal.

Heres what I dont get, at the time he signed this contract, he was the highest paid safety in the league...He still has 3 more years left on that contract. Why is he fussing??

Ed, you're the best, we all love you, but you signed the deal, you honor the deal.

Crav,

The almighty $ speaks again ! $ continues to ruin pro sports; next college football (if it hasnt already)

http://forums.extremeravens.com/index.php?showtopic=1814&view=&hl=ed reed webb&fromsearch=1

It is not that simple. I have heard that Reed is very well liked in the lockerroom. What I have heard is that the younger guys, and even vets, look up to him a lot for leadership. Reed is very silent, but is respected and a very hard worker who puts lots of time in the film room and invites other members of the secondary over to his house. To a lot of the younger guys is has been their idol growing up (like Webb). He has a very strong voice in the lockerroom and keeps a lot of the team chemistry together. You trade a guy like Reed, players start to get upset and very paranoid. Word then gets out around the league very quickly that we are not a loyal organization as players talk to other players. Guys will then start to undermine the coaching staff and not trust the front office. You don't want an organization like that.

OK so now it looks like he can destroy the chemestry of this team from the inside. Had he been traded 3-4 yrs ago then you would not have to deal with this now.

As long as you feel the same way the next time the team cuts a player with years left on their contract. People beat up on players for wanting a new contract or holding out yet they dont mutter a word when the team does the same things. If you expect players to honor their deal then you should expect the team to as well.

If I disliked a player because of things he said when posturing for a new contract, I wouldn't like any of them at all. So therefore I dont hold any of it against any of them.

As long as you feel the same way the next time the team cuts a player with years left on their contract. People beat up on players for wanting a new contract or holding out yet they dont mutter a word when the team does the same things.

The difference is that the team doesn't come out and say that they don't want the player long before it happens.

As long as you feel the same way the next time the team cuts a player with years left on their contract. People beat up on players for wanting a new contract or holding out yet they dont mutter a word when the team does the same things. If you expect players to honor their deal then you should expect the team to as well.

If I disliked a player because of things he said when posturing for a new contract, I wouldn't like any of them at all. So therefore I dont hold any of it against any of them.

OK but say that deal was for 5 yrs. That player got a $20 mil signing bonus. If they are cut after 3 yrs that player just got 2 yrs of that bonus for free. Also if a player gets in trouble and can't play the team has paid that bonus and cannot get that money back. The players have the advantage of not fulfilling they end of the bargain.

The difference is that the team doesn't come out and say that they don't want the player long before it happens.

So, its often known when a player is not in the team's future plans even if under contract whether the team comes right out and says it or not.

I don't think either side negotiates contracts in good faith but only the players get called out on it. Unfortunately a player gets attention by talking about his situation to the press.

So, its often known when a player is not in the team's future plans even if under contract whether the team comes right out and says it or not.

When? And the fact that they don't come out and say it is the entire point.

I don't think either side negotiates contracts in good faith but only the players get called out on it. Unfortunately a player gets attention by talking about his situation to the press.

I don't either. But, again, that's the point. If a player has a problem with his contract and talks to management about it, then more power to him. He has every right in the world to do so. The problem comes in spouting off about it to irrelevant people.

Well honestly it really doesn't matter to me how we find out about the players unhappiness with his current contract, that's irrelevant to me. Like them or not holdouts and comments in the press are all part of the game now. Now if these were real contracts meant to be honored then I would be bothered by them, but they are not. With the rules in place I have no problem with a player 'spouting off' to the press or other irrelevant people.

My entire issue is with fans bitching that a player should honor his contract when they don't do the same when teams do not. I think its unfair and hypocritical but I also know after a similar debate the last few years that I am pretty much alone in this opinion here so I guess I should have known better than to chime in again.

• Upvote 1

Your not alone Spen but his timing couldn't be worse which is evidenced by his agent trying to spin it. Saying he may not be able to play in 1 sentence and asking for more money the next is just stupid.I think he is trying to hold the injury over the ravens as leverage somehow.

honestly he reminds me of Ochocinco 2 years ago when he wanted a new deal or out of cincy.

Well honestly it really doesn't matter to me how we find out about the players unhappiness with his current contract, that's irrelevant to me. Like them or not holdouts and comments in the press are all part of the game now. Now if these were real contracts meant to be honored then I would be bothered by them, but they are not. With the rules in place I have no problem with a player 'spouting off' to the press or other irrelevant people.

My entire issue is with fans bitching that a player should honor his contract when they don't do the same when teams do not. I think its unfair and hypocritical but I also know after a similar debate the last few years that I am pretty much alone in this opinion here so I guess I should have known better than to chime in again.

Agreed, it is not always pretty, and when is that happening? Typical when a player are not living up to expectations, underperforming, IR or consideration to the cap. Then Ravens take a paycut like Heap and Rolle or they cut a player like C-Mac or Yamon Figurs, or when they cut a newly drafted player like Davon Drew. Few of those players had their fans when they needed it the most. Fans and teams seems to have the same agenda and fairness is not what matters.

Btw if Ravens had cut Landry last year and resigned Leonhard.. the typical fan would agree.

Not to belabor the point, but you are not alone. Typically, folks only respond when they vehemently disagree with you. Many others may share the same viewpoint but do not take the time to just say "me too". But, "me too".

I think this whole Reed issue is largely a tempest in a teapot (signifying something or other). The poor guy is hurt, seriously hurt. He won't even be available to play until midseason at the earliest. We need to expect to play the whole season without him, which the team has already done by signing Hamlin.

His contract bitch should ideally never have hit the press, but he probably just feels frustrated. Big deal. There are likely multiple contract bitches every year that the team handles on a yearly basis without the press ever making a mountain out of it. It is no suprise that millionaires and billionaires are greedy and will always argue about money.

I hope he is wise enough to retire a Raven. He could still go play for multiple NFL teams and then come back to us and retire here...obviously nobody would ever love him as much as Baltimore will.

Reed will always be a Raven, no worries. But he will not be of much help next year. The poor guy really needs another year to heal.

I have no problem with bitching at management either..But the Player has Management by the balls, the bulk of the contract is in the signing bonus, so if he cuts him after 3 years of a 6 year deal, that players last 3 year salary is peanuts. And if an owner cuts him hes only hurting himself, the CAP hits will accelerate then.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-schmuck-review-0724-20100723,0,4026358.column

News item: Ravens safety Ed Reed has ramped up his one-sided war of words with the team over the past two days, justifying his desire for a new contract by saying — among other things — that he has given his "blood, sweat and tears" to the organization and wants to be appreciated for playing hurt last year.

My take: Guess I'm old-fashioned, but when you sign a long-term contract and take a huge signing bonus, doesn't that mean you're getting your appreciation in advance?

Bonus take: Yes, I realize that NFL players do this kind of thing all the time, but that doesn't make it right. When you sign a long-term contract, you're agreeing to trade some future earning potential for immediate financial security. When did it become all right to break that promise and demand to be paid on both ends of the risk/reward equation?

I couldn't have said it better myself