ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Game Planning

vmax

This morning I read a brief article on the Patriots 27-0 win over the Texans last night. They started a 3rd string QB and this was his first NFL start.

They created an excellent game plan against the # 3 defense in the NFL....and executed it.

The Ravens coaching staff just isn't capable of this.........

The Texans (2-1) entered the game with the NFL's third-ranked defense and nine sacks through two games, but they struggled to put pressure on the 23-year-old quarterback.

Brissett was steady throughout, moving the chains on offense with a diet of short passes and scrambles. The Patriots (3-0) also mixed in lots of pre-snap motion and shifts that helped create both throwing and running lanes for Brissett. He finished the night 11 of 19 for 103 yards, and ran eight times for 48 yards.....http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rookie-brissett-blount-lead-patriots-past-texans-27-0/ar-BBwvUHC?li=BBnbfcL

Osweiller said the Texans had a great game plan and were well prepared....

Osweiler on the loss: "I felt like we had a great week of preparation, very focused. The game plan was solid and we worked hard. So this is hard to take. But the bottom line is that New England had a great game plan. They deserve all the credit. But we'll bounce back from this one."......http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rookie-brissett-blount-lead-patriots-past-texans-27-0/ar-BBwvUHC?li=BBnbfcL

The Ravens come out with the same game plan, week after week.

It's called start slow, be predictable, eventually wake up, wait for the opponent to make a mistake, hang on and eek out a win.

I'll take the winning every time.

The Ravens talent level is the same as the Patriots. Because of Parity, talent level on the average NFL roster are close.

I think the Ravens utilize the talent they have at 50% capacity.

It's all about X's and O's and execution.

The Texans had them stopped each series but they failed to make the tackles on those short passes. Plain & simple, the game plan was not the great, the defense was that bad.

On offense, Brock can't throw well against zones, right now, his weakness. Pats played match up zone most of the night. That game was not so much what the Pats did, but what the Texans failed to do....

But I do agree with your sentiment, the offensive game plan for the Ravens, utilizing route combinations to get people open, is a glaring hole we can see every time we watch other offenses have success in other games. The only time, this year, they used a real combination was on the long td pass in the first game. In that play both Wallace (who scored) and Smith sr, on a flag pattern to the weak side, we wide open because of the coverage and the proper play call...

But Trestman seems to only want to use stacked routes, so there is no yak, so throws are harder because of the congestion, receivers being five yards apart....

NEs D played very well. There is a culture up there. They all know they are expendable and work very hard to stay needed.

Yes they did but let us look at two key factors. They were facing basically a rookie quarterback as well. Houstons offense also played it safe to try and limit turnovers. Likely because they felt no way the rookie on the other side could be very effective against them on such short notice.

It was in a sense a case of over thinking it on Houston's part, and under thinking it, if you will, on New England's part.

Yup, the same game plan for the Ravens every week. Come out crappy, get behind or close, have to pass because there's no running game. I do place a lot of blame on Trestman. Joe will just have to thrash it out with him every week. But, we'd still need a running game.

Here's Trestman's take on the ground game (he sounds uncomfortable to me that he has to have one):

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Final-Drive-Marc-Trestman-Discusses-Run-Game-Philosophy/32103430-4723-481c-a351-1b03aef54800

i saw that and it didn't give me any hope.

How many years has it been that we can't tell what the Ravens identity is?

Play like a Raven. Maybe they are trying to resurrect that this year.

There have been times during Harbaugh's tenure that the Ravens have done a lot with less.

And it's not his fault that every good coach he brings in gets promoted to another team. He should be complimented for making such good choices. That's a strength of his.

And....the Ravens lost 2 great coaches, film students and playmakers in Lewis and Reed. That was 2 more coaches on the field.

No way. The rookie was pretty damned good. He played very smart. I have been saying the Ravens should model themselves after NE. Just wait until Brady gets back. They are unstoppable.

The rookie had the same kind of game and results as another rookie back in September of 08..and that rookie went on to be a SB MVP

i saw that and it didn't give me any hope.

How many years has it been that we can't tell what the Ravens identity is?

Play like a Raven. Maybe they are trying to resurrect that this year.

There have been times during Harbaugh's tenure that the Ravens have done a lot with less.

And it's not his fault that every good coach he brings in gets promoted to another team. He should be complimented for making such good choices. That's a strength of his.

And....the Ravens lost 2 great coaches, film students and playmakers in Lewis and Reed. That was 2 more coaches on the field.

Cam wasn't promoted. Caldwell was promoted bc of a blip. When he was OC for a season the offense was bad and there was a lot of speculation about him being fired. I would not say there is a good track record of Harbs getting good coaches.

Anybody think Castilllo can be an OC?

He absolutely sucked as a DC. He got Andy Reid fired.

The rookie had the same kind of game and results as another rookie back in September of 08..and that rookie went on to be a SB MVP

I don't expect him to be a regular starter in the NFL. So I guess you are correct in the comparison of their abilities.