ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Free Agency and the Ravens

GrubberRaven

All of us probably agree on this...

The Ravens are still an average football team...... still have a lot of holes to fill.

They made Williams the highest-paid defensive tackle in the NFL and Jefferson the sixth-highest-paid safety, but they still need a top pass rusher, shut-down cornerback, right offensive tackle and fullback.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-column-0311-20170310-story.html

He also mentions that Flacco needs to get better or nothing is going to happen as far as making the playoffs. I think we can all agree on that too.

There is a lot of opportunity left for the Ravens to fill holes, find some playmakers, and raise the talent level of this roster from average to above.

Does Flacco always have to wear that brace?

Morning Grubes. :gorave:

I don't know but I'm glad that he wears it as a safety net.

He took some nasty hits and falls last year and it protected him. It did not seem to hurt his mobility.

Does it ever occur to you that the org tries to do that but the players know they'll make more come free agency?

Sure they try all the time and every guy who will be a FA all decide to say no. It isn't that it is just how Ozzie does business.

Really? You know this how papa old friend? Do we know if the Ravens were renegotiating all last year or the year before to extend him? Just because the media didn't cover it or his agent didn't say anything does not mean they waiting until now to talk.

I am no fan of Ozzie's right now, never been high on Dick Cass and his way of working the cap, but some players want to test free agency, want to be wooed as it were before they settle.

BC stuff like that leaks. It always leaks. There is a reason why ESPN has Shefter and Fox has Glazer.

Dick doesn't work the cap. That is Pat Moriority who has been the cap guy I think from day 1.

Guy was solid but the Ravens have players like Urban, Henry and Kaufusi who can fill that void. Keep an eye on Henry....I think he's going to be real solid.

That's why the Ravens wouldn't over sped for Guy....but good for Guy. He earned his pay day.

13_CawWilliams_news.jpg

:gorave:

Love it!

"I got to prove my worth," Williams said Monday after signing his five-year, $52.5 million contract. "I'm ready to do that."
Early Thursday evening, owner Steve Bisciotti told general manager Ozzie Newsome: "Do what you have to do to get the deal done." By that night, Williams agreed to a deal that included $27.5 million in guaranteed money, which surpassed Harrison by $3.5 million. After the deal was struck, Williams had to hold back tears when talking to an elated Newsome.

"It felt good to have your GM call you on the phone and hear him burst into excitement," Williams said.

Heading into free agency, Williams said it was "up in the air" whether he would return. But his preference was to come back to Baltimore.

In fact, Williams never cleaned out his locker after the season. A black suit from the cleaners still hangs in there.

"I figured I try to leave hints," Williams said. "When it got down to it, I couldn't see myself in any other color but purple and black."

Upon hearing that, Newsome jokingly said, "I wish I knew all of that before the deal. Now, I'm going to start checking lockers."...http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/34409/brandon-williams-accepts-damon-harrisons-best-nfl-nose-tackle-challenge

c66e36f58a25ea2a8aebd2bb4f2048ff_crop_ex

Edited by vmax

They better draft a center fairly early.

16 is too early, even for Elflien or Pocic.

With their signing of the safety, Jefferson, they can all but sure up the secondary with Jones, Tabor types in the draft at 16.

But it really looks to me like they will trade back...

Could be the contract we're proposing has a bunch of incentives that he'll meet if he stays healthy and maybe he wants more security?

Incentives would be thing to do though I believe.

He reportedly wants $7 mil per, Ravens supposedly are at $5 mil.. He is not worth $7, but then neither is Prince Amukamara, who got that from the Bears..

16 is too early, even for Elflien or Pocic.

With their signing of the safety, Jefferson, they can all but sure up the secondary with Jones, Tabor types in the draft at 16.

But it really looks to me like they will trade back...

No way. That is way to early for a center. I was thinking in the 2nd. Just thinking they will try to pull something in the 6th.

No way. That is way to early for a center. I was thinking in the 2nd. Just thinking they will try to pull something in the 6th.

The top five centers are pretty good, so yeah, late first or second would be great. But then the Ravens struggle with 2nd selections....