ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Free Agency and the Ravens

GrubberRaven

Ravens Failing to help Joe Flacco, a head scratcher.

Baltimore Ravens officials talked about the importance of upgrading the supporting cast around quarterback Joe Flacco since the end of last season. General manager Ozzie Newsome even said the Ravens need to find "a complementary receiver."

Nearly a week into free agency, the biggest question from what has been a productive start for the Ravens is this: Where's that new wide receiver?

Baltimore has watched the market for wide receivers essentially dry up, and what makes it even more perplexing is the fact that many of these pass-catchers received affordable deals. Unlike the crazy spending for offensive tackles, productive wide receivers such as Alshon Jeffery (one year, $9.5 million), Kenny Britt (an average of $8.1 million) Brandon Marshall (an average of $5 million), Terrelle Pryor (one year, $6 million) and Torrey Smith (an average of $5 million) were moderately priced and could be had for short-term contracts

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/34443/ravens-failing-to-help-joe-flacco-at-receiver-a-huge-head-scratcher

Affordable? Jefferies rarely completes a season, & has inconsistent hands. Britt disappears in games more than Houdini in his magic act.

Marshall was not going to leave NY, his show is there. Prior is unproven and a one year rental is not worth that cost, $6 mil.

We know Smith, small catch radius, bad hands, etc. Even at his $5 mil...

I do agree they need help but they did not need who was left out there. Jackson would have been the best choice, slot\deep threat.

But he was also over priced.

This is getting pretty depressing. Now we need 2 starters on the OL which was an area Oz said needed upgrading. I'm no Zuttah fan but there are no other C free agent who's any better and now we have to get one in the draft, ALONG WITH a CB, a pass rusher, a G, and a WR and all of those guys a going to have to be starters (fat chance!).

I think the Ravens have definitely lost their mojo and are heading into Browns territory. They are accelerating downward.

I have no idea what, if any, plan they have. Seems like the must have played a lot of golf down at Bisciott's house that weekend rather than developed a plan.

Affordable? Jefferies rarely completes a season, & has inconsistent hands. Britt disappears in games more than Houdini in his magic act.

Marshall was not going to leave NY, his show is there. Prior is unproven and a one year rental is not worth that cost, $6 mil.

We know Smith, small catch radius, bad hands, etc. Even at his $5 mil...

I do agree they need help but they did not need who was left out there. Jackson would have been the best choice, slot\deep threat.

But he was also over priced.

I bet we get Boldin back on the cheaps. But I hate the fact we are heading to the draft knowing we need a wr, real bad

I bet we get Boldin back on the cheaps. But I hate the fact we are heading to the draft knowing we need a wr, real bad

Hey, maybe their project quarterback turned wide receiver is their secret weapon... I mean, since they have not been able to develop a drafted wide out, maybe they were able to make pigs fly via a slow, not quick running quarterback...

They will fill the receiver position in the draft even though it generally takes 2 years for a receiver to develop.

It's not like they are 1-2 players away from a Super Bowl. They are not in a "Must Win Now" situation.

They are missing too many pieces.

2018 is the year to field something scary.

Get younger, faster, stronger.

Build a Nasty Defense and they won't have to score 587 points a game.

There is nothing worse than getting pushed around.

So wasn't Matt Birk and he helped us win a Super Bowl.

Expensive ? So isn't everybody in the NFL .

He's worth a 1-2 yr deal plus draft a center that can be mentored.

That's the most prudent common sense approach to C position.

Birk was not good here for a while. Mangold is expensive via the cap space available.

From what I have read, he is still out there because the teams interested in him want him to switch to guard. He still wants to play center so money is not the issue, per se'

We should pick him up even if it's a one year rental.