ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Flacco's Flaws

varaven45

After Monday Night snotknocker (thanks Max!), comments and afterthoughts about Joe's apparent flaws are resurfacing. Once again, we are hearing that Joe is still afraid to throw across the middle, he's throwing off his back foot, and he's overthrowing some easy passes - missed TD pass to LeRon McClain.

Maybe, since it was his first game, he was just a bit rusty (good gosh,Sanchez was horrible). Maybe it was the Meadowlands crowd and the noise. Maybe its part of the normal QB maturation process and he is just fine.

Dont get me wrong, Joe is a fine QB and his future looks very bright. We cant expect a Joe Montana or Johnny U in year 3, but I am wondering if some of his flaws are correctable or whether what we see is what we are always going to get.

Thoughts ?

its so hard to judge based on one game. He did everything right in the 3rd preseason game and there was praise everywhere. Now he has just an average game against the toughest defense in the league and a few people rush to judgement. I'll say this- the missed pass to McClain and Joe's holding the ball too long on the first play were the only real detriments I could see. Who knows how good his stats might have looked if some of the PI calls were completions instead. Todd Heap missed a sure TD but you don't hear anyone questioning him.

All that being said, I'll wrap up by just saying I think Joe will be a very good quarterback for the long haul for the Ravens. He's not Peyton Manning (who else is?) and he might not even be as outstanding as Tom Brady.

BUT, he's a quality QB who can take the Ravens to the playoffs year in and year out as long as he gets decent protection and has quality targets to throw to. And yes, I think he's still developing.

The OL without Gaither is not very good, he had less time than Sanchez, still Joe was in another league.. And 250 yards + 60-80 PI yards, pretty good against one of the leagues best, if not the best D.

And unlike Boller and many others not very good QBs when he makes turnovers, he is not trying to force things.. And in this game he did improve during the game. Remember how our D after a couple of turnovers normally takes control, that never happend here against this great D, you have to credit Joe for that fact.

Im am not sure if he will be a top 3-5 QB, but he is pretty close to be a top 10 QB. I take that any day and if he will improve from that.. It will just be bonus!

He can improve on his pocket presence and release the ball quicker. I think he'll be able to do that this year.

He's better than he was last year.

Now certainly the receivers he has play into this, but Joe is throwing more to the middle of the field. He wasn't passing to his check downs Monday night. He read the field and went for the 1 on 1 matchups...with confidence. Against a very solid secondary...last years #1 D. And....he killed them on 3rd down.

3rd down conversion percentage is a key stat that you will see in great offenses. Hey...Joe pulled the trigger.

He will murder any defense who can't pressure and harass him this year.

He will be an Elite QB. I can see that comming.

I dont know what was expected facing the #1 D in the league from last year, and they really havent fallen off that much this year.

I thought he played a great game under the circumstances..

My only question was why they didnt go after Revis more, they went after him twice with Mason and it was so apparent that he was not in shape, Revis took Mason to the ground for a penalty.

If the same D shows up in Cinncy that I seen in New England, Air Joe will have a field day.

I have to say apart from holding the ball too long on that 1st play Joe looked pretty good. Even the INT I think wasn't really his fault. I'm guessing that Boldin was supposed to run a post route to take out the safety which would have left Heap 1 on 1 down the sideline with his man beat for a TD. I doubt that Cam would have been stupid enough to design those routes to be so close together so I will chalk this down to an error on Boldin's part.

The throw to Heap down the seam that he dropped for a sure TD was all I needed to see from Joe and his confidence throwing over the middle. He found Heap for 6 catches for 70+ yards and that is exactly the sort of numbers I want to see. The sideline throws will be is bread and butter but now offenses will have to respect the middle of the field as well leaving WRs 1 on 1 on the outside.

I no longer feel the team will go as far as Joe can take them. I think the team will go as far as the O-Line protects our QB.

He can improve on his pocket presence and release the ball quicker. I think he'll be able to do that this year.

He's better than he was last year.

Now certainly the receivers he has play into this, but Joe is throwing more to the middle of the field. He wasn't passing to his check downs Monday night. He read the field and went for the 1 on 1 matchups...with confidence. Against a very solid secondary...last years #1 D. And....he killed them on 3rd down.

3rd down conversion percentage is a key stat that you will see in great offenses. Hey...Joe pulled the trigger.

He will murder any defense who can't pressure and harass him this year.

He will be an Elite QB. I can see that comming.

Max,

Good points. I appreciate your constructive comments. Lets hope Joe's prcgress continues this Sunday in Cincy !

real quick.. he did't overthrow Mcclain. Mcclain stopped running. You've never seen that route run where it stops there. If you ask both parties.. they'll tell you

Really ? Thats cool ! It looked like Joe just overthrew McClain and the announcers - tv and radio - commnented so.

I guess Joe cant run and catch the dang ball too !?

I thought Joe was OK at best Monday. He should know better than to throw off his back foot like he did again Monday and he should have protected the ball better. I thought he threw poorly numerous times when receivers were open. Thank goodness the Jets kept helping out with the defensive penalties.

However I am not worried about it. It was the first game of the season against a tough team. Also two out of the three wideouts being new might have somthing to do with it. .

Joe has a ways to go before he is a very good QB IMO but he is young and I think he will continue to improve.