ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Harbs signs new contract

cravnravn

We will see if it is a good idea or now. I think it maybe bad.

Why? You are not a fan of Ozzie I know that. Harbs too?

If we have not resigned him now, he would think shortterm and hard to blame him, and he would surely not be here in 2012, especially not if he would have his forth winning season and our team would most likely be in a worse condition in 2012-15. Winning in this league is not so simple.

The record in 2008+2009+2010 is fare better than most would have expected, and at least what you expected from what I remember.

Pittsburgh and Patriots has 38 W, Harbaugh has the third best record in the league with 36 W. Impressive when you think Pittsburgh is in our division, and that we still have not an elite QB, an offense who still struggle and a defense who is declining. And our two last drafts has not been helping.

Before this season most of us were pretty upset about the disciplin and ST, and the 2010 season proved huge improvemente in both areas. And we continue to win against lousy teams, this is a sign of a good coach.

Time will tell whether it will be a good extension or not, and the team does have problems but with his record and playoff record the first three years of his contract he deserves the extension. If it doesnt work out or goes horribly wrong then you fire him. No big deal.

Before the end of the season I would have been 100% for this move. I like Harbaugh, but a lot of the insider stuff I have heard lately has made me extremely uncomfortable about this team moving forward. Harbaugh has done a great job of keeping this lockerroom together, even when things looked extremely grim in our 9-7 year in 2009 and when we were barely holding on for life this past year after a bunch of closer-than-should-be games. However, I am not sure if he would be able to hold things together in a 7-9 year, or God-forbid, worse. I just think there is too much of an ego that would rub players the wrong way. I hope I am wrong though and this is the year Harbaugh takes that next step and starts beating those elite teams. However, with Cam Cameron still the OC, I am not very optimistic. However, the fact of the matter remains that Harbaugh is better than at least 80% of the coaches in the NFL and he is better than anyone currently on the market.

Or until the offensive line decides to block or until the receivers stop dropping touchdowns and first downs in the bread basket.

Ravens had the fewest dropped passes in the league so I do not expect that to be improved upon. Not saying it didnt hurt us in the playoffs though.

Ravens had the fewest dropped passes in the league so I do not expect that to be improved upon. Not saying it didnt hurt us in the playoffs though.

That is correct, I would much rather those drops not be in the endzone though. The Mason dropped TD on the slant against the Pats would have sealed that game (did I mention there was a low shotgun snap on that play as well that Joe had to dig out of the ground?), the McClain drop against the Saints would have sealed that game, the Boldin drop against the Steelers in the playoffs which would have given us a comfortable lead in that game. Then there's the Housh drop on the fourth down that ended our season. If you want to throw in some other important drops that lost us games, there's the ridiculous Mason drop from 2009 against the Steelers in the endzone that would have surely won that game and the Clayton drop against the Pats which would have put us in great position to win that game. Everyone says we can't beat the elite teams but Joe sure isn't being helped in crunch time by his own guys. Then there's also the fact that Joe has been sacked the second most time out of any QB the past two years, which is pretty ridiculous considering the amount of two tight-end or full backfield sets that we run. We are hardly running a Mike Martz spread offense out there.

I realize I am getting off topic from Harbaugh's contract signing, I am just tired of people blaming Joe for everything when he has his guys around him not producing either. I thought ravinmaniac's jab was uncalled for.

I realize I am getting off topic from Harbaugh's contract signing, I am just tired of people blaming Joe for everything when he has his guys around him not producing either. I thought ravinmaniac's jab was uncalled for.

I really didnt mean to argue about how we have different thoughts on Joe, I am just saying that if the Ravens have the fewest drops in the league with 14, I really do not think that is too big of a problem overall. Naturally that's just my opinion. If you think that dropped passes are a bigger problem than Joe finding and hitting open targets then that's your opinion.

I just cannot see the Ravens improving on that next season, 14 is pretty damn few for a whole regular season. And I am not saying some of them were not at very bad times, there were some bad ones. However I bet most teams can probably point to a few passes where if caught they win another game or two.

I really didnt mean to argue about how we have different thoughts on Joe, I am just saying that if the Ravens have the fewest drops in the league with 14, I really do not think that is too big of a problem overall. Naturally that's just my opinion. If you think that dropped passes are a bigger problem than Joe finding and hitting open targets then that's your opinion.

I just cannot see the Ravens improving on that next season, 14 is pretty damn few for a whole regular season. And I am not saying some of them were not at very bad times, there were some bad ones. However I bet most teams can probably point to a few passes where if caught they win another game or two.

You completely missed my point, I was not out to prove that the dropped passes are a bigger problem than Joe finding and hitting open targets. My point was, as I stated, we had numerous critical drops in crunch time which had a huge impact on our season. That is not debatable. Yes Joe finding and hitting open targets (maybe not even open receivers, but putting the ball in a spot where your guy can make a play) is a problem, but so is the fact that Joe has been sacked twice most out of any QB over the past two seasons and Cam's misuse of our offensive players' skill sets. In other words, this is not all Joe's fault as ravinmaniac suggested. If you fix two out of any of those three problems, the offense is going to be dramatically better. I don't care if Joe doesn't progress at all, if you give him better blocking, a better run game, and better use of his receivers by Cam, this offense is going to be better.

Believe me if you think Cam is best using our players to our talents, I will say the players think otherwise. I have heard some behind the scenes stuff about Cam that would make any Ravens fan uncomfortable. You don't hear any of the players speaking out against Joe like our players did against Boller or any of our other QBs. Now the stuff they are saying about Cam, well I am just going to say the players are not happy at all Cam as a coach or with the direction of the offense and it has nothing to do with Flacco.

I have pretty much no problems with our offense in 1+2 Q all season, but the second half almost the entire season, sigh. Especially when we were leading, safety first and 3 and out, so predictable.

Btw all of our 3 overtime games pretty much same thing, Cam would go no where, and only thanks to ST/D we were 2-1, and hard to blame ST/D for the Pats L in OT.

I cruise different sites, I cant get over the amt of people that have turned against Joe after 3 straight trips into the playoffs..

Joe's good enough to take us to a Super Bowl---there's other issues with the offense that need immediate attention: the lack of pass protection, the lack of a running game, and the routes the receivers run for starters.

He's not in the Manning or Rodgers class but he's competent.

I really like Harbaugh and I'm happy with locking him up. I'd take him over every HC in the NFL...all but 2.

He's...cool....and his teams win and make the playoffs.

We've got 3 years of him and now his challenges (or remaining mountains for him to climb) are clear: Beat the Steelers regularly, win the Division and secure home field, win the AFC Championship and win a Super Bowl.

You can add;

Beat the Colts and Pats...oh...and Bengals.

Do what Billick couldn't....give the fans at least a top 10 offense.

Don't mess with success.

I really like Harbaugh and I'm happy with locking him up. I'd take him over every HC in the NFL...all but 2.

He's...cool....and his teams win and make the playoffs.

We've got 3 years of him and now his challenges (or remaining mountains for him to climb) are clear: Beat the Steelers regularly, win the Division and secure home field, win the AFC Championship and win a Super Bowl.

You can add;

Beat the Colts and Pats...oh...and Bengals.

Do what Billick couldn't....give the fans at least a top 10 offense.

Don't mess with success.

Max,

Good post. Harbs is winning - that you cant argue. But can/will he elevate the team to the next level ?

yeah nothing else than keep winning, sigh.

Not sure that it is that simple, we have a team who still have Ray and Ed, soon their will be some kind of rebuilding.

He has already done some kind of rebuilding mostly on O.. also ST and some D, can he continue that proces together with the FO, this is way more important than Ws.

Ws is only for Bisciotti and the fans.

Max who is the other HC.. I guess the first one was a former Baltimore Colt coach.