ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The "Heapster" Cut

varaven45

Aside from the painful "wailing and grinding of teeth" which would obviously ensue, we simply cannot permanently realease Heap.

Here are three reasons:

1. All due respect to Dickson and Pitta, he is our only truly bonafide TE.

2. Heap's a gamer, has Joe's back and gives him a comfort level. We could possible tolerate the loss of McGahee, dont like the possible loss of Mase. Cant lose the vet presence and safety net that Heap provides.

3. What the hell am I going to do with my 86 Heap jersey ? Its my only official Ravens jersey of an active player.

Dont like losin McGahee, loathe the idea of losing Mase, but cannot lose Heap. Not now. Not this year.

I trust Ozzie will do the right thing !

:gorave:

Mason can be replaced because we have Boldin, that's our veteran presence at WR. I'd rather have some young pups competing and hungry. (Honestly, Mason does compete like a young pup, he just can't separate like them). I'll miss Mason, but I like the move. Mason gave us great years.

Heap however always shows up when a first down is needed. I just don't get this move. I thought Heap was still playing at a very high level. This happens with a lot of Tight Ends, if it happened to Tony Gonzalez it can happen to Heap.

Mason can be replaced because we have Boldin, that's our veteran presence at WR. I'd rather have some young pups competing and hungry. (Honestly, Mason does compete like a young pup, he just can't separate like them). I'll miss Mason, but I like the move. Mason gave us great years.

Heap however always shows up when a first down is needed. I just don't get this move. I thought Heap was still playing at a very high level. This happens with a lot of Tight Ends, if it happened to Tony Gonzalez it can happen to Heap.

Thats what happens when we back load contracts, Heap was due 6mil this year, Im banking he'll be back for 2mil, he was a very huge part of the O last year, and hes a hell of a blocker.

Thats what happens when we back load contracts, Heap was due 6mil this year, Im banking he'll be back for 2mil, he was a very huge part of the O last year, and hes a hell of a blocker.

Crav and Yager,

I hope you are right. Besides, my only other official jersey is Boller's. Nuff said :cryin:

I have a Willis Jersey, plus a TD Taylor, which I turned into a Clayton :)

Dang Crav, you ve gotta trifecta !

BTW- I read and appreciated your thoughts and reflection on the "missed" camp.

I never saw the Colts camps but have been to a few Ravens camp.

By best memory was back in 2001, after our SB win. Gotta chance to hear Mike Preston throw barbs at Billick about the Dilfer release/gaffe. Also, shook hands with and got BB's signature on his book (aka Competetive Leadership ?). My two youngest sons were with me and we had a blast !

:gorave:

If there were, plenty of guys would rush for 1200-1300 yards, and plenty of guys would rush for 7-11 tds. He did a good job. Not superb, not great, not amazing, but good. His contract paid him as if he should have been great, but he was good none the less. Had Ray Rice been injured, we would have been very very happy to have him. It is what it is. Was he overpaid....yes....did he play poorly.....no.

12 tds, 5 yd per carry average. Tons of RBs that pull that off.

In 2009, Willis did a ton of dirty work, running between the tackles alot.

It is what it is, you conveniently leave out that he did well in yr 1. After that, Rice took over, he was just better. What are you gonna do. He would have rushed for 1000 yds in 08 and 09 with the carries of the average starting rb.

This last year, he was showing some wear and tear, I'll give ya he looked a bit slow. That's probably a secondary reason for his release. On another team, he could still probably break the 1000 yd mark.

Like I said, it is what it is. If we didn't obtain a better back via the draft Willis would have rushed for 1000 yds 3 of 4 yrs. That sounds like a solid pick up to me. Again, not superb or out of this world, just solid.

It's sad to see him go.

We'll see him again in week 8. It's going to be odd to hold back on the HEEEEEEAP chants

I'm sure he'll get at least 1 as a salute while he's in town. This whole exodus of vets feels weird. It's going be a strange watching this team next year without heap

He's been a very good player and I will miss him.

I think Dickson will pick up the pass completions but I am concerned about losing Heap's pass blocking.

Overall, though, I understand and approve of the cut because our cap space is so damn tight.