ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Almost had to sleep on the sofa tonight

Tornado700

Right before the hail Mary, I told my wife the ball would probably be batted around and then caught in the end zone by a Bengal. Afterward, she accused me of jinxing the Ravens. Just glad we pulled it out. On a lighter note, the D played lights out today while the O again sputtered. I'll take a win any way we can get it.

I think Rice is done too but I'm not sure who could run well with the poor job the line is doing.

18 carries for 30 yards. Anybody can do better than that...even Travis Taylor (1 carry 18 yards).

I'd put him at RB...use Scott as the back up and rest Pierce and Rice as long as necessary for them to get well.

It is that bad.

18 carries for 30 yards. Anybody can do better than that...even Travis Taylor (1 carry 18 yards).

I'd put him at RB...use Scott as the back up and rest Pierce and Rice as long as necessary for them to get well.

It is that bad.

Wasn't that cool seeing Tyrod Taylor run around. Do whatever you can do to get the run game going.

But what did they do after that play?

It is that bad.

Oh I dont dispute how bad he has been and if pressed I do think he is done. But I think he is one of the running game's problems, not the only one. Pierce hasnt been great either.

Conventional wisdom says you need to run the ball to win. I just dont think they can turn that part of the game around this year so I would consider abandoning it. Pass a lot more and instead of running throw short passes. I dont think it can hurt at this point.

Oh I dont dispute how bad he has been and if pressed I do think he is done. But I think he is one of the running game's problems, not the only one. Pierce hasnt been great either.

Conventional wisdom says you need to run the ball to win. I just dont think they can turn that part of the game around this year so I would consider abandoning it. Pass a lot more and instead of running throw short passes. I dont think it can hurt at this point.

can't give up on the run game, you just have to do some other things to get anything out of it. Run with 3 wides.

The cap hit could be about $12 mil to cut him and be $10 to keep him. That would mean he stays. He just should never have been signed.

If we cut him at the end of the season he would count $14.25m against the cap with the accelerated bonuses. His cap hit in 2013 is due to be $8.75m. We could cut him and designate him as a June cut which means he would count $7.125m against the cap in 2014 and the same again in 2015. That would save $1.625m on the cap in 2014 and $0.625m in 2015 based upon his current bonus/salary structure. If we draft a back this year we could easily fit him into the cap as a replacement for Ray on those cap savings but that is a lot of dead money.

If we wait until 2015 to cut him then he would count $9.5m against the cap. His cap hit is due to be $7.75m in 2014. If he is designated a June cut then he would count for $4.75m against the cap in 2014 and again in 2015 with the cap savings being $3m in both 2014 and 2015.

My guess is the FO approaches him to take a pay cut in the offseason with perhaps some of that salary turned into incentives. It would be a tough decision to cut him for 2014. For 2015 it becomes a much simpler decision. If he fails to regain his form in 2014 he is gone.