ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Preston says it best

vmax

This year the Ravens never "got better".

Sorry John. And Ozzie.

Mike nails it in his column....

The Ravens took a lot of gambles for the 2013 season, and they lost most of them.

They gambled that they had a franchise-caliber quarterback and they lost. They thought they had signed several good free agents who could help anchor a defense and they didn't. They counted on some young receivers and some old ones too, and they had little impact as well from an undersized offensive line.

Flacco was only one of the many problems in 2013. The Ravens thought second-year player Gino Gradkowski could start at center and Bryant McKinnie would have another stellar year at left tackle. Gradkowski was pushed around more than an old shopping cart and McKinnie was traded to the Dolphins in the middle of the season. Combined with injuries to guards Kelechi Osemele and Marshal Yanda, the Ravens failed to get movement at the point of attack in the running game and couldn't handle pass rush pressure up the middle for most of the season.

The Ravens also failed in the experiments to find another steady receiver. Torrey Smith was expected to be the No. 1 receiver, but disappeared in the final quarter of the season. Young players like Marlon Brown, Tandon Doss and Deonte Thompson had their moments but weren't steady. Veterans like tight end Dallas Clark and Brandon Stokley came and went like thieves in the night.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-ravens-column-1230-20131229,0,4321803.column#ixzz2ox60iCT0

I can't identify a solid core to build upon. In the past, at least the Ravens had a good defense.

The Ravens had several "Must win games" and more often than not, they wilted instead of rising to the challenge. That is not something we've seen under Harbs. The other thing, Joe almost never had back to back clunkers. If he sucked (as he did in NE), he almost always rebounded with a sharp, focused, and accurate effort. That also didn't happen this year.

The line was awful, Rice was awful. They have a big decision to make on Suggs, but outside of that I think you can leave the defense as is you will see enough improvement with the young players getting a year wise but the offense needs a major overhaul.

there's a 6-5 235 pound Wr at Florida State that would cure all of our offensive woes. Joe needs a big physical WR to bail him out. Yanda and KO will be back healthy, i'm not as worried about the line next year as most. we do need to either Oher or whatshisface from jacksonville. Kelvin Benjamin thats the wr from fsu name

there's a 6-5 235 pound Wr at Florida State that would cure all of our offensive woes. Joe needs a big physical WR to bail him out. Yanda and KO will be back healthy, i'm not as worried about the line next year as most. we do need to either Oher or whatshisface from jacksonville.

My man Kelvin Benjamin, hes HUGE at 6'5", hes only a Junior, but I think he'll test the pro market

Depending on one's measure, I am not sure the team didn't improve. From a W/L standpoint, the team improved from 4-6 to 8-8 and so it went 4 and 2 over the last 6 games.

The defense showed improvement since the opening night in Denver (although there were major lapses in the last two games). On a bright note, special teams were consistently good throughout the year.

The offense was/is.. well.... offensive. Its always been a major, major shortcoming for this organization. It seems to have always lacked a strong offensive identity. We have only a half a dozen decent offensive pieces with which to work - Yanda, Flacco, Smith, Pitta, Rice or Pierce, Brown or JJ (questionable). Since the retirement of JO and with the exception of last years "lightning in a bottle" SB run, the OL and the running game have largely been ignored for the past few years How often in the past 2-3 years have we seen this team fail to get a SINGLE yard on 3rd or 4th and 1 ? I would love to see the statistics if these are kept. It goes against all conventional wisdom and football philosophy when you cannot gain a single rushing yard and what's worse is when the opposition KNOWS it. Its been on full display the entire year.

I don't know the offense can be fixed in 1 offseason. The OL needs a leadership and identity/scheme change, an infusion of new and /or experienced personnel, and a highly successful draft in 2014 and 2015. I have confidence it will happen but its going to involve strong leadership, prudent personnel decisions and successful drafts.

As always, In Ozzie We Trust will be on full display once again this offseason.

IMO there's just too many holes for one offseason. A good start will be revamping the Oline, the defense had issues but an offense that can score on a few drives would have made the other problems seem smaller.

Thats how I feel. The defense while not great was good. If the offense was even a little better we probably make the playoffs. If the offense was a bit better and could sustain more drives then the defense looks better too.

Mike preston is an emotional beat writer. He predicted a Ravens win vs. Cinci and my guess is that he lost some serious jack on Sunday. I take him with a grain of salt.

I could not agree more, Mike just writes to get people to talk about, Him.

This quote struck me as clear-

They gambled that they had a franchise-caliber quarterback and they lost.

Lost? They clearly have a "franchise caliber quarterback" they even have an "elite quarterback" pick any name one wants to use these days. Joe had an average of 2 seconds to throw this year. His receivers, even on short routes, took an average of 2.5 seconds to get well into their routes and get a semblance of seperation. You do the math Mike.

Joe as sacked 2nd most in the league this year, some on him holding out hope some one would get open, some on the line, ole` and some on the receivers running the proper routes, to the proper depth. Come on Mike, you can do better with your break down of the team.

Yes, injuries to the line hurt some, but not all. Last year they did not run very well, nor pass block very well either, even with helathy bodies in there. Oher has been terrible since he came into the league. Yanda, average at best, Kelechie, average, and the left tackle, pick one, has sucked since JO left. Factor in the receivers and tight ends not very good at blocking and you get 2.5 yards per carry.

Factor in the receivers struggles to run good routes, not telegraph them and the line's inability to give Joe time, and you get a plethora of crossing routes where the middle is jammed with defenders. You get receivers re-routed by a slight push, hugging sidelines giving Joe no room for error on go routes. Throw a seam pass? No time, no one to run them.

They have speed at receiver, but that speed takes 12-15 yards to get to full speed and they only have one gear. What they need at wide out is quickness, that is why Stokely was brought in, they hoped he had a little more left in him, alas, he did not. So they need to revamp the line, get a bigger tight end who can block and a quick, hands receiver; plenty of them in the draft. I would also look at position coahces, with all the firings today, some better positional coahces, cough, offensive line, will be available.

Lost? They clearly have a "franchise caliber quarterback" they even have an "elite quarterback" pick any name one wants to use these days. Joe had an average of 2 seconds to throw this year. His receivers, even on short routes, took an average of 2.5 seconds to get well into their routes and get a semblance of seperation. You do the math Mike.

Joe as sacked 2nd most in the league this year, some on him holding out hope some one would get open, some on the line, ole` and some on the receivers running the proper routes, to the proper depth. Come on Mike, you can do better with your break down of the team.

Yes, injuries to the line hurt some, but not all. Last year they did not run very well, nor pass block very well either, even with helathy bodies in there. Oher has been terrible since he came into the league. Yanda, average at best, Kelechie, average, and the left tackle, pick one, has sucked since JO left. Factor in the receivers and tight ends not very good at blocking and you get 2.5 yards per carry.

Factor in the receivers struggles to run good routes, not telegraph them and the line's inability to give Joe time, and you get a plethora of crossing routes where the middle is jammed with defenders. You get receivers re-routed by a slight push, hugging sidelines giving Joe no room for error on go routes. Throw a seam pass? No time, no one to run them.

They have speed at receiver, but that speed takes 12-15 yards to get to full speed and they only have one gear. What they need at wide out is quickness, that is why Stokely was brought in, they hoped he had a little more left in him, alas, he did not. So they need to revamp the line, get a bigger tight end who can block and a quick, hands receiver; plenty of them in the draft. I would also look at position coahces, with all the firings today, some better positional coahces, cough, offensive line, will be available.

You lost me at elite.

Hmh, top 10 for sure, which is what i consider elite, the new catch phrase, it used to be franchise. Either way, he has proven the team can win a Super Bowl with & because of him. So contrary to what Mike and you feel....... :gorave:

Preston does tell truths that need telling sometimes. Unlike a lot of the bmore media who ride the Ravens jocks.

We did not have a franchise/elite, 120 million Qb this year, the playoffs last year yes, this year , not even close, but it's everyone elses fault but Joe. Joe didn't have time, well Joe is suppose to buy time, thats what an elite/franchise 120 million dollar qb is suppose to do. this tslvester is another Captain Save A Joe.

Preston does tell truths that need telling sometimes. Unlike a lot of the bmore media who ride the Ravens jocks.

I agree with those who say it can't all be fixed in one year. After a brilliant start to the season, Suggs just disappeared and his cap situation (and the team's) is such that he'll probably be let go. The linebackers as a group are average as are the DBS. The O-line just outright sucks and I'm not even sure that Monroe is the answer at LT. Ohrer is gone. Gradkowski should be gone. Osemele has to bounce back from a bad back. Shipley is a backup at best. Yanda is a keeper.

At the offensive skill positions there is a real lack of playmakers. Rice is done. Torrey is a great guy and a legitimate deep threat but isn't a #1 receiver. Pitta May or may not bounce back. Jacoby is gone.

Flacco had little protection, targets, and no running game this year but he still left a bad taste in my mouth as his deep throws were horrendous.

There is a WHOLE LOT of work to be done.

Oh, and finally, the offensive coaching is a mess.

I'm dying to hear the Biscuit, Ozzie, Harbs end of year news conference. Anybody know when it will be?

We did not have a franchise/elite, 120 million Qb this year, the playoffs last year yes, this year , not even close, but it's everyone elses fault but Joe. Joe didn't have time, well Joe is suppose to buy time, thats what an elite/franchise 120 million dollar qb is suppose to do. this tslvester is another Captain Save A Joe.

Name calling? Oy........ Was Joe bad this year? Sure, but you want to play semantics with what Preston said? Joe made many poor decisions this year, leading to incomplete passes and interceptions. Some of those incompletes were in the red zone, where he did not look off a safety, or did not get properly through his progressions and see an open man underneath. I coud list many that were his fault.

However, even with what he did wrong, this team had five games with leads in the late 4th quarter, all could have been won. All given up leads by the defense, is that Joe's fault?

Can you or Preston, dispute what I said about the line or receivers? I'll be happy to sit down with all 16 game tapes and show you exactly what I am saying. The routes have been run wrong- this leads to interceptions, late reads by Flacco, making him hold the ball longer, not being able to get through his progressions properly. They run them too fast at times, yes this can happen, too slow at times and at wrong depths. This all leads to tighter windows for any quarterback to complete passes.

Proof of what I say is in NE, Brady, his worst completion percentage of his career this year, why? Because of everything I just outlined here in Baltimore. So please, dispute, counter, agree with my points, don't retort with name calling.....

That is why you don't pay off of a 4 game stretch. You look at the whole and project how the trend is going.

Name calling? Oy........ Was Joe bad this year? Sure, but you want to play semantics with what Preston said? Joe made many poor decisions this year, leading to incomplete passes and interceptions. Some of those incompletes were in the red zone, where he did not look off a safety, or did not get properly through his progressions and see an open man underneath. I coud list many that were his fault.

However, even with what he did wrong, this team had five games with leads in the late 4th quarter, all could have been won. All given up leads by the defense, is that Joe's fault?

Can you or Preston, dispute what I said about the line or receivers? I'll be happy to sit down with all 16 game tapes and show you exactly what I am saying. The routes have been run wrong- this leads to interceptions, late reads by Flacco, making him hold the ball longer, not being able to get through his progressions properly. They run them too fast at times, yes this can happen, too slow at times and at wrong depths. This all leads to tighter windows for any quarterback to complete passes.

Proof of what I say is in NE, Brady, his worst completion percentage of his career this year, why? Because of everything I just outlined here in Baltimore. So please, dispute, counter, agree with my points, don't retort with name calling.....

Essentially what you Captain Save A Joes are saying is that Flacco needs everything around him to be perfect in order for him to succeed and with his contract it's not going to happen. We lost 5 games with 4th quarter leads, right, thats what you're saying, well tell me how many points did we score in those games, The defense kept us in almost every game this year except 2 , maybe 3, joe never put up many points this year and you groupies want to blame the defense.

The bad call would have been for us to not have a quarterback for now or in the near future unless you were willing to have a poor enough season to grab a very high draft pick and then hope it works out. It was too risky to take a chance on that.