ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Steve Smith a Raven?

cravnravn

Something to prove. That's going to be big with Smith. He'll be extra chippy. If this goes off, I think it's a really good short term solution

Hmmmm. Never really thought about that. That would leave Edelman and I'm not sold on him. And that would worry me because it says NE doesn't really value him. They'd rather have Smith at 34 for 2-3 yrs than a younger guy that came up in their system. What's that say? Nothing good

Hmmmm. Never really thought about that. That would leave Edelman and I'm not sold on him. And that would worry me because it says NE doesn't really value him. They'd rather have Smith at 34 for 2-3 yrs than a younger guy that came up in their system. What's that say? Nothing good

I think if NE did that it would be a 1 yr deal on the cheap to get back some of the big bucks they just payed Revis.....Edelman has more long term upside than Smith and everyone is overlooking the fact that Carolina is cutting their most productive offensive target because he is a locker room malcontent.....Do we really need another Pollard in here ?...But for the record, I'm not sold on either of the little guys....James Jones is a better option IMO....

I think if NE did that it would be a 1 yr deal on the cheap to get back some of the big bucks they just payed Revis.....Edelman has more long term upside than Smith and everyone is overlooking the fact that Carolina is cutting their most productive offensive target because he is a locker room malcontent.....Do we really need another Pollard in here ?...But for the record, I'm not sold on either of the little guys....James Jones is a better option IMO....

Yeah I heard Smith's a ''speak your mind'' kind of player. Not exactly one to blend with Harbs personality.

Jones is a FA? Didn't know that.

Smith was a malcontent...he's on meds as well, if I remember correctly.

Wow, I forgot about him being on meds too.....But according to PFT, the Ravens have already contacted him and it looks to already be in motion.....James is a free agent and I think I read that Cleveland was after him, poor guy , lol.

Didn't know about the meds. I thought he got his anger issues under control. I guess it tookl meds

Eh, meds don't mean anything, neither does the malcontent label a team uses to ditch a fan favorite and the teams most prolific receiver in team history. He would be a stop gap here while the drafted wide out and the other young players currently on the team grow.

Aaron Wilson@RavensInsider 24m

Ravens haven't reached out yet to Steve Smith, per a source, will do that after 4 p.m. once he's officially off the roster

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/13/report-ravens-already-in-contact-with-steve-smith/

David Newton of ESPN.com reports that the Ravens have already put in a call to Smith. It’s not surprising as the Ravens were being discussed as a landing spot well before the Panthers made it official that they were moving on without the veteran wideout.

I read another report that the Ravens are being aggressive in signing Smith. I didn't think they would be, but sometimes these rumors from reporters are true.

There are some other teams interested in him too, he may get over paid, I hope it ain't by us.....Panthers are responsible for like 3 of his 7 mil contract but someone could throw the cash at him with a new contract....He will have some leverage.

Don't when he clears waivers...haven't read enough yet.

Steve Smith is still expected to be released by the Carolina Panthers, and the Ravens are still expected to “heavily pursue” him if that happens, says The Sun’s Aaron Wilson.

Smith turns 35 in May and carries a reported $7 million salary cap figure next season. It will cost the Panthers $3 million to cut him. The Ravens aren’t expected to be the only team pursuing Smith, as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers could also get involved, per Wilson.

“Smith, 34, could provide the physical, experienced presence the Ravens have lacked since trading Anquan Boldin to the San Francisco 49ers last year,” Wilson wrote. “His production dipped a bit last season as he dealt with injuries, but he's regarded as healthy now after returning for the playoffs.” http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-313-Ravens-Monitor-As-WR-Market-Heats-Up-/1d71cd31-9393-4ac0-bfe0-1109b1cdfa72