ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Dean Pees needs to go

tsylvester

Do we need any more evidence? I don't care about stats, nor rankings, a lot of good they did today, or any game against good teams, let alone above average teams.

I am no just speaking about defensive calls nor the bend but don't break mentality he brings. I don't want to hear he can only do so much with what he has, nor that injuries have hampered him, no, no more excuses.

As a DC, he has a say in who is drafted, in which free agents they try to sign. Since he has come here this team has missed on more defensive players than he has teeth. Yes, it has only been two years as a DC, but news flash, they stunk last year too, and the year before dispite the ring.

Ozzie and company, with his blesings, have missed on two safeties, on most every corner and on numerous linebackers the past few years leaving this team unable to get pressure on the quarterback, or cover the middle, or get coverage sacks against good team, today is a perfect example.

San Diego was without a couple of lineman, including on their 4th & 5th center, yet very little if any pressure on Rivers, especially at a time they most needed the front four, cough, cough, Suggs and Dumervil, to come through.

The best evidence of Pees's inability to be sound was having Upshaw cover a tight end, not just once but numerous times. Upshaw, just one in the line of wasted Bama picks. He is good for at least 1 personal foul per game, and mulitple blown assignments.

1 Punt forced today, 1, against an average, by stats, offense, a team that does not play well on the East Coast at 1 pm. 1 3rd down stop, ONE.

I expected a loss, had it marked down when the schedule came out, just so you know this post is not done in anger or disappointment.

Clarence Brooks has done a great job with the front line, teaching the young guys, but they need help from the edge,and with two aging, expensive, inconsistant ends/olb's, the edge help is not coming. No imagination in blitzing, Rivers knew where & when each time.

Leaving a backer on Gates, one who has never been able to cover an average tight end, let a lone a Hall of Famer is just another nail in the coffin. Who did the best player in coverage follow all game? The back up tight end.......... Soft zone with no blitzing at the end of the game until they crossed the 50? When you know they have not gotten any pressure all game? When there has only been 1 punt?

This game was a microcosm of the entire time Pees has been here as DC and even as a linebacker coach. His input into players drafted or signed, his use of players, his schemes, all below the league average. Yes, the defensive rankings on the Ravens are inflated numbers against poor teams.

When/if Ozzie goes, I hope he takes Pees with him other wise, this defense will never be able to hold leads, never.

There's a lot of truth in

Do we need any more evidence? I don't care about stats, nor rankings, a lot of good they did today, or any game against good teams, let alone above average teams.

I am no just speaking about defensive calls nor the bend but don't break mentality he brings. I don't want to hear he can only do so much with what he has, nor that injuries have hampered him, no, no more excuses.

As a DC, he has a say in who is drafted, in which free agents they try to sign. Since he has come here this team has missed on more defensive players than he has teeth. Yes, it has only been two years as a DC, but news flash, they stunk last year too, and the year before dispite the ring.

Ozzie and company, with his blesings, have missed on two safeties, on most every corner and on numerous linebackers the past few years leaving this team unable to get pressure on the quarterback, or cover the middle, or get coverage sacks against good team, today is a perfect example.

San Diego was without a couple of lineman, including on their 4th & 5th center, yet very little if any pressure on Rivers, especially at a time they most needed the front four, cough, cough, Suggs and Dumervil, to come through.

The best evidence of Pees's inability to be sound was having Upshaw cover a tight end, not just once but numerous times. Upshaw, just one in the line of wasted Bama picks. He is good for at least 1 personal foul per game, and mulitple blown assignments.

1 Punt forced today, 1, against an average, by stats, offense, a team that does not play well on the East Coast at 1 pm. 1 3rd down stop, ONE.

I expected a loss, had it marked down when the schedule came out, just so you know this post is not done in anger or disappointment.

Clarence Brooks has done a great job with the front line, teaching the young guys, but they need help from the edge,and with two aging, expensive, inconsistant ends/olb's, the edge help is not coming. No imagination in blitzing, Rivers knew where & when each time.

Leaving a backer on Gates, one who has never been able to cover an average tight end, let a lone a Hall of Famer is just another nail in the coffin. Who did the best player in coverage follow all game? The back up tight end.......... Soft zone with no blitzing at the end of the game until they crossed the 50? When you know they have not gotten any pressure all game? When there has only been 1 punt?

This game was a microcosm of the entire time Pees has been here as DC and even as a linebacker coach. His input into players drafted or signed, his use of players, his schemes, all below the league average. Yes, the defensive rankings on the Ravens are inflated numbers against poor teams.

When/if Ozzie goes, I hope he takes Pees with him other wise, this defense will never be able to hold leads, never.

There's a lot of truth in that. And I do blame the bend don't break philosophy also. It's too passive and gives too much control to the opposing offense. It's a pussy approach to defense.

One week he is the best DC in the world the next he should be fired. It is not his fault that his best CB is injured and he was given a bunch of problematic talent elsewhere in his DB's.

You never heard me say he was a good Dc, never. Re-read my post, he had plenty of input into drafts and free agents, so yes, his fault,

I disagree. I was at the game.

It would have been suicidal to have that secondary play man.

Every time they, did they got burned bad.

When he tried to blitz, Rivers completed every pass.

But I will say...Upshaw on Gates is a mismatch.

They needed to jamb Gates at the line of scrimage. That would take him out of the play with his ageing legs.They didn't.

I disagree. I was at the game.

It would have been suicidal to have that secondary play man.

Every time they, did they got burned bad.

When he tried to blitz, Rivers completed every pass.

But I will say...Upshaw on Gates is a mismatch.

They needed to jamb Gates at the line of scrimage. That would take him out of the play with his ageing legs.They didn't.

We shouldn't have to blitz to bring pressure. The front four didn't get penetration very often and when they did Rivers had already let the ball go. We have a great front four against the run but it's below average in bringing the heat.

We shouldn't have to blitz to bring pressure. The front four didn't get penetration very often and when they did Rivers had already let the ball go. We have a great front four against the run but it's below average in bringing the heat.

agree...how many times did they jump or line up off sides?

But Suggs has been eroding for for some time. Elvis isn't always the best either. That is a fare amount of cap space on aging stars.

I did read his post. I guess we should give Mosley back. Maybe get a different position there.

Again, stats are misleading. Mosley is good at blitzing, but little else. Most of his tackles are outside the box, down field, from behind and he can't cover an offensive tackle, let a lone a tight end. He couldn't cover in college and frankly, if you can't cover by this time in your football career, you never will. Corners do get some what better, but mostly because their flaws are technique based, not so with linebackers. I wasn't high on the Ravens drafting him and even with his likley RDPY award, I stick to my thoughts on him.

Pees may not sign the players but you can bet he has a big say-so on who is or isn't signed. Ozzie has always stated that the coaches play a big role in players drafted & FA players.

Thus my statement that the players are no excuse for him.

And Max, you cna blitz without needing to go man, Rivers was killing them in man & zone all day, save for one 3rd down stop.

Mosley is a rookie and learning. Ray Lewis was OK his rookie yr but became that guy with experience and learning.

Sure Deen can give his opinion but sometimes he is going to lose to another side of the ball. You can't have it all in a salary cap league. You have to minimize costs where you can to get more talent elsewhere. That has always been my argument.