ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Can we win with this Defense?

OutsideRzAcE

There were so many things wrong with our defense yesterday, but you have to start with the Corners. We made it way too easy on Ryan - he didn't have to fit any passes into tight windows because our corner-backs were playing about as aggressive as a a litter of kittens. Webb may have had his worst game as a Raven, and nobody on the team could cover White. I watched the replay of his curl out touchdown that gave the Falcons a 20-7 lead. Maybe I read this wrong, but it looked like they Ravens had him doubled with Landry taking the underneath - the only problem was Landry was about 5 yards up the field.

Once Atlanta got to the 40 on what turned out to be their game-winning drive, we knew we'd probably see some blitzes from the Ravens to try to knock the Falcons out of field goal range. What did Mattison come up with? Bashing Ray Lewis up the middle 3 or 4 straight plays. It was so vanilla. We've said this before, where is the deception? Where is the creativity? The Falcons had it figured out after the 2nd time, just roll Ryan left.

This is what our defense is - one big catch 22. The talent is not good enough to dominate with Mattison's schemes and Mattison's schemes aren't creative enough to disguise the lack of playmakers - especially at CB.

This defense is good enough to win games but are they good enough to get this team a title? I have to say no.

The Falcons defense isn't any better than the Ravens, but you can bet the experts are penciling in the Falcons for the Super Bowl.

For the Ravens to get there, the offense would have to score 3-7 more points a game than they are averaging...or...become a serious ball control/chain moving/time of possesion group that finishes drives.

Got to keep this average D off the field.

They are a liability.

Guest BallTMore

The Falcons defense isn't any better than the Ravens, but you can bet the experts are penciling in the Falcons for the Super Bowl.

For the Ravens to get there, the offense would have to score 3-7 more points a game than they are averaging...or...become a serious ball control/chain moving/time of possesion group that finishes drives.

Got to keep this average D off the field.

They are a liability.

True. The media is always about the flavor of the week. The Falcons are it right now, at least until the Pats and Steelers play.

We can win with the defense, but the offense will have to play a bigger part than we're used too.

Despite the poor performance yesterday, I still don't seea team in the nfl we can't beat. Ok the Colts, but that's it.

Sure we can.

If the offense plays half-decent in the first half, the defense not only has less opportunity to screw up (not that they need much more than 45 seconds, apparently), but they also will hopefully have some more 'gas' in the later stages of a game.

Are they dominant? Not even close. Good? Still questionable. Can you win with them? Absolutely.

By the way... for all the gnashing we do on the offense in the first half yesterday... we should remember that they really only got 3 possessions. In part because of the defense's inability to control the game and in part because of Webb's dumbass move (who else saw it coming when he's running with the ball loose anyway?).

Bottom line... we have to play as a balanced unit. The offense needs to do its part to help the defense and we'll be A-OK. And I'm still not THAT upset about a last minute loss to a playoff caliber team and QB on the road on three days rest.

Sorry. I guess I just ain't passionate enough.

There were so many things wrong with our defense yesterday, but you have to start with the Corners. We made it way too easy on Ryan - he didn't have to fit any passes into tight windows because our corner-backs were playing about as aggressive as a a litter of kittens. Webb may have had his worst game as a Raven, and nobody on the team could cover White. I watched the replay of his curl out touchdown that gave the Falcons a 20-7 lead. Maybe I read this wrong, but it looked like they Ravens had him doubled with Landry taking the underneath - the only problem was Landry was about 5 yards up the field.

Once Atlanta got to the 40 on what turned out to be their game-winning drive, we knew we'd probably see some blitzes from the Ravens to try to knock the Falcons out of field goal range. What did Mattison come up with? Bashing Ray Lewis up the middle 3 or 4 straight plays. It was so vanilla. We've said this before, where is the deception? Where is the creativity? The Falcons had it figured out after the 2nd time, just roll Ryan left.

This is what our defense is - one big catch 22. The talent is not good enough to dominate with Mattison's schemes and Mattison's schemes aren't creative enough to disguise the lack of playmakers - especially at CB.

This defense is good enough to win games but are they good enough to get this team a title? I have to say no.

First paragraph-

I remember that play specifically as well because I was DISGUSTED with the coverage. However, I believe you saw it wrong. We may have had White doubled with Landry and Reed (though it's doubtful we'd assign both Safety's to a WR...) but Landry had to come up the field to cover a FB/TE that went wide. The reason I hated that play was because Reed completely blew the coverage. He saw Landry go up and White cut out, and simply didn't react quickly. It's crazy to say it, but Reed's reaction time was terrible and cost a TD on that play.

Second-

I completely agree. But the thing is that Ray isn't what he used to be in coverage, so we need to start bringing him on the blitz more often to cover up for his lost step.

I will have to disagree on your overall message at this point. I still think our Offense hasn't clicked, and we have plenty of time for that to happen. In my opinion, we have as many weapons on Offense as any team in the league, and we should be averaging 28 PPG. Also, Zbikowski is actually a big loss out there. We haven't seen good play from Gooden, McClain or Johnson, so I'd like to see some 5 DB sets when Zib is back with Landry essentially operating as a LB who actually can cover a TE or has the speed to go around the edge on a blitz, we need to start thinking outside the box, hopefully Mattison does.

Guest BallTMore

Sorry but I was at the game and that PI call on Gooden when the flag was thrown no one knew why. Now I know Southerners are slow, but come on.

How was the experience? Someone from another board said the Falcon fans were a-holes. Compared them to annoying, flag-waving Steeler fans.

The Falcons defense isn't any better than the Ravens

Your Kidding right? If it wasnt for Suggs Matt Ryan could have played the game in gym shorts..Yet Bazooka Joe was harassed the ENTIRE game, I mean the entire game!! We get absolutely no pressure on the opposing QB's not just Ryan, its any of them. And we dont get pressure when we blitz, it seems our blitzers run right up the asses of our D Line, and theres just a clusterfuk of players in the middle of the field.

Yet, other Defenses come with a 4 man front and get thru(majority of the time its our left side).

And yet we drove 3 of 4 drives in the last 20 minutes to score on 60+ yard drives... and we could have run all over them if we wanted, but Cam apparently didn't want to.

And Joe was harassed primarily by Abraham... just like Ryan's only flea was Suggs

I love Ray Lewis. However, he's to slow in the middle. He can call the defenses from the sideline. Its time to get Ray Ray The defensive coordinators headset. The right time is now as the defense is suffering from his lack of speed. He's a hero in Baltimore now and he can be a hero on the sideline too. Kelly Gregs in the same position. Its Cody's time to play. You gotta know and act on this before the seasons over. I love my heros but this game is about winning. To heck with notoriety

Guest BallTMore
Ellerbe and Gooden suck.

I was high on Ellerbe after last season, couldn't understand why he was in the "doghouse". Now I'm beginning to see.

Not good in coverage, gives up on plays (Watch him on the play Landry is getting run over. He's basically walking over to "help")

The defense was at least decent most of the first half of the season. Now 2 out of the last 3 weeks its been bad. I figured out why! Ed Reed. He comes back and the defense goes to hell. Cut him now!

:biggrin:

Here's Peter Kings thoughts on Ed...and the D...

Baltimore's defense just isn't the same. Ed Reed looks 47. The corners were sieves last night. The Ravens gave up 156 yards in the fourth quarter. I remember when they didn't give up 156 in a game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/11/12/week10/index.html

Who do you put in for Ray?

Ellerbe and Gooden suck.

Good point. The truth is I'm not sure. I've never thought much of Gooden but he does have speed. Ellerbe seems to be a thug but does have the killer instinct. Experiment with both and then decide for this year only. Damn Kindle loss huge now. He possibly could have been the Suggs bookend about now. Can Kruger play the middle LB position? Transition him off the line and back to LB. So far hes not setting the world on fire on the line.

Good point. The truth is I'm not sure. I've never thought much of Gooden but he does have speed. Ellerbe seems to be a thug but does have the killer instinct. Experiment with both and then decide for this year only. Damn Kindle loss huge now. He possibly could have been the Suggs bookend about now. Can Kruger play the middle LB position? Transition him off the line and back to LB. So far hes not setting the world on fire on the line.

You don't make that move until you have a solid replacement for him. Remember when the Ravens got rid of McAlister for Fabian Washington and Foxworth? Every week for an entire season after that move Harbaurgh had to answer a question about whether or not Chris was coming back. I do agree that the time has come for the Ravens to draft a replacement for Ray; heck they probably should have had one already in the wings. Ray has not been our biggest problem these past few weeks however. A poor pash rush and terrible secondary play have been the problem.... maybe the poor pash rush has exposed what has been poor secondary play all season. I still have faith in Webb, I think he is light years better than what he showed Thursday night. I haven't seen enough of Josh Wilson to make a determination on him but so far he seems only slightly better than Washington. Fabian is where he belongs...on the bench. Foxworth is not the answer either unless they plan to play him at nickel. Landry is God awful...I really miss Jim Leonard.

Cmac was done. They should go back to the draft to fill up more at CB. For some reason they will not go to the small cover corner. They are insistent on a big 6' guy. They are so rare I would scoop up a solid small guy if he were available in the draft. Hell I wish they had traded for Alphonso Smith. He is doing well now that he was traded out of Denver.

Cmac was done. They should go back to the draft to fill up more at CB. For some reason they will not go to the small cover corner. They are insistent on a big 6' guy. They are so rare I would scoop up a solid small guy if he were available in the draft. Hell I wish they had traded for Alphonso Smith. He is doing well now that he was traded out of Denver.

Josh Wilson, Fabian Washington, Dominique Foxworth and Lardarius Webb are ALL small cover corners that you claim we don't have. Kelly Gregg has clearly lost it this year, as we are getting no push up the middle. We need more blitzes with the inside linebackers coming and the ends stunting.

Well...how about a little splash of Purple Cool Aid on this thread...

You know the phrase "That's why they play the game!"

Well..."That's why they play out all 16 games" because you never know who's going to be hot come playoff time.

If the Ravens stay healthy other AFC playoff contenders continue to lose good depth and players at a good rate this year.

The Stealers have the D but they get gassed by the 4th quarter...meanwhile their O line continues to suffer significant injuries...it may kill them in the playoffs...if they get there.

Colts injury decimated...same for the Chargers but Rivers is pulling off miracles there.

Jets offense is average...maybe sliding... Pats get crushed by Browns.

The Ravens might win with this D.

Gregg has a career high of 3.5 sacks. He only has 19.5 for a career total. He was never a passrusher.

I don't get the Cody pick since he will never be a passrusher. I wanted guys like Odrick, Houston, Neal, Smith, and Atkins at DT. They could have also gone Griffen, Wootton, and Carrington at DE. They didn't need to go early to get good players to help out.