ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Chargers

OutsideRzAcE

What do you guys expect out of this game. A lot of people are assuming the Chargers D getting a second look at Lamar will help them shut our offense down but we didnt really move them ball on them that well particularly in the 2nd half. A second look may benefit the Ravens O just as much of not more.

I am obviously a little concerned about Rivers getting another chance vs the D, particularly after seeing what Mayfield accomplished

I see a couple of things -

First, I agree Lamar and the offense are going to need to go more vertical (pass to Andrews in last SD game). They started out passing in Cleveland game, used a good mix in first half, then got ultra conservative in second half and almost gave away the lead. Lamar will need to play his best game to win this one.

Second and Defensively, I think we will get a different look from Rivers and the offense this game. Whatever communication problems from the Cleveland game - Jarvis Landry long TD (and almost a second one - 90+ yarder) and Perrimans long plays - best be cleaned up.

Our pass rush will be huge again and needs to keep Rivers in duress all game.

Should be a great game. Lamar and the team will need another stellar effort to win this Sunday.

It's all about the winning playoff formula: Execution, limiting penalties...especially the drive killing ones, not committing the costly turnover and luck.

The Hurst phantom hold took away 1 TD.

Jackson's fumble almost made it a 10 point swing.

The Ravens can't do this and win.

They have got to get 7's instead of 3's. They have got to improve in the red zone.

The pass rush was everything against the Chargers and they have to bring it again because something is wrong with the secondary. Rivers is turning it over a lot the last 2 games and he is not mobile.

Another tough game coming. SD will be highly motivated. Lamar will have to pass more if the running game can’t click. We’ll probably need to pass to open up the run. Defense suddenly has secondary issues that must be addressed.

But, I’m already happy with how this team performed this second half season. If they lose in a competitive game I can live with that.

Of course I want to win and keep going. Our stadium crowd will have to be loud again and the team needs to be as pumped up as they have been since Lamar took over. I think it will be harder to keep the momentum going as the team reached its goal of getting into the playoffs. A letdown is a very real possibility.

Here's another perspective. The Chargers have played 1 game against the Ravens so they will make adjustments.

The same for the Ravens.

The secondary can't go brain dead like they did Sunday but the Ravens D is way more physical so I expect the same pressure on Rivers.

Will he crack and continue his gift giving streak?

I expect his best. His SB window is closing and he's a fierce competitor.

:gorave:

Mike Preston

Ravens 21, Chargers 17

The Ravens secondary struggled last week against the Cleveland Browns, but the group will rebound against Los Angeles, which has one of the better passing attacks in the NFL. When the Ravens beat the Chargers nearly two weeks ago, they were physically stronger and superior, and that will happen again Sunday. The Chargers don't have the muscle to beat the Ravens. Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers isn't mobile and Ravens outside linebackers Terrell Suggs, Matthew Judon and Za'Darius Smith will pin him in the pocket with no means to escape. Also, Rivers hasn't played well throughout his career in the postseason. He has a 4-5 record. It will drop to 4-6.....https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-chargers-staff-picks-20190102-story.html

As of Thursday afternoon, NFLPickwatch reported that 63 percent of league experts are picking the Ravens to beat the Chargers in their wild card round face-off....https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-playoff-picks-who-the-experts-are-taking-in-ravens-vs-chargers/ar-BBRNcCw?ocid=U508DHP

The Experts are never wrong. :gorave:

I'm not sure what to expect. If they had not won a few weeks ago I would not like their chances. But they did, and so I do. But not looking at that game and just the teams I think the Chargers win. Maybe easily.

It will really be interesting to see the adjustments both teams make after the last game.

At half time I didn't want to look at the stats...but I did... :fishin: Lamar had a 0 QB rating.

With 10 minutes left the Ravens offense had 74 total yards....24 rushing yards... :scared: ....you can't make this shit up. Only the Ravens come up with some new level of futility.

The comeback was fun. During that final defensive stop, the crowd was yelling out of their minds. We were united. It felt good.

From my vantage point, on the final offensive play, Lamar had 2 receivers running stride for stride down the seam toward the end zone and Lamar was trying to throw the ball there. They were open. Either one catches it and they score. It looked that close, yet credit the Chargers....Nwosu made the big play to seal the win.

Ouch. Rough game. But damn good season and AFCN champs. Will take it and get ready for next season.

Absolutely feel the same way! Lamar will take big steps forward this off-season and come back a better passer with better ball awareness. Might not be next year but very very soon the Ravens will be back in the Super Bowl.

Absolutely feel the same way! Lamar will take big steps forward this off-season and come back a better passer with better ball awareness. Might not be next year but very very soon the Ravens will be back in the Super Bowl.

I agree totally, an expanded playbook is going to help Lamar also. And a new OC, Marty just isn’t a consistent good playcaller, and in games like today it really shows

The Chargers had an answer for the RPO and the Ravens couldn't counter it.

It takes too long to set up the pass out of that formation. The O line was slow at the point of attack and did a poor job in pass protection.

Factor in that Lamar was inaccurate in the first 3 quarters and you have a horror story. Receivers were open and he couldn't find them.

The formula for beating the Ravens in the future is to stop the run and force Lamar to beat you with his arm. Sell out on the run like the Chargers did.

The only ray of sunshine was the final 10 minutes when the Ravens had to abandon the run. The Ravens have to build on that.

Edited by vmax

The line needs to be a priority especially the interior. Zeus Jr and Stanley had poor games, but Im ok going with them forward. I believe Hurst was beat so badly they benched him, Yanda is getting old and there is no telling how much longer we can count on him. Lewis is always hurt and Skura seems to be tough but is not good enough in pass protection. Jackson has good potential as a passer but not with pass rushers in his lap all day.

Quarterback: Rookie Lamar Jackson still has to prove he can run a pro-style passing offense, and his weaknesses were on display against the Chargers. He struggles with poor mechanics, gripping the ball and the proper follow-through in his throwing motion. It’s hard for a running quarterback to win once his team trails early in the game. The Chargers stacked the box against Jackson and he couldn’t overcome. Grade: F

Offensive line: The Ravens couldn’t stop the Chargers’ pass rush, and Los Angeles had seven sacks. James Hurst and Bradley Bozeman played poorly at left guard, and both tackles gave poor efforts with rookie right tackle Orlando Brown Jr struggling more than Ronnie Stanley. This was ugly, a big difference from two weeks ago when the teams played. Grade: F....https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/mikeprestonreportcards/bs-sp-ravens-report-card-grades-preston-20190106-story.html

The line play was really bad. QB too.