ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens sign Zeitler

tsylvester

2 hours ago, GrubberRaven said:

Yeah, f Greg Roman...

Let me tell ya how it is.... Typical reponse when talking about Lamar, yes we all know he is a stud, a beast... Yes, touchdown passes are nice.. But how far are they? Ok, he ran then down to the 30, or into the redzone then threw the touchdown pass.

However, where are the game changing throws? We've seen 1 or two each season, the tough ones, down the sidelines while in the pocket, the back shoulder throw to save drives, win games. The quick strike long touchdown throw to change the game?

Again, one or two per season.. Nothing consistent to make a defense back off.

Sure, the run game is great, we can blame Roman for not calling play action, hard play action routes down the seam or behind the backers deep, consistently. But if Lamar is not hitting those, if he can't make those throws in practice consistently, how can Roman call those plays?

I think we have a mixed back of blame here and yes Lamar does deserve some of the blame if you will, if he can't read the option, or make the throw....

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TY Hilton signed with Indy, we offered more.

JuJu signs back with the Steelers, we offered more.

Lamar may not be a perfect QB in the eyes of some, but he has won for us, despite the mediocre passing schemes/talent around him.  Seriously, f Roman...

1 hour ago, tsylvester said:

Let me tell ya how it is.... Typical reponse when talking about Lamar, yes we all know he is a stud, a beast... Yes, touchdown passes are nice.. But how far are they? Ok, he ran then down to the 30, or into the redzone then threw the touchdown pass.

However, where are the game changing throws? We've seen 1 or two each season, the tough ones, down the sidelines while in the pocket, the back shoulder throw to save drives, win games. The quick strike long touchdown throw to change the game?

Sure, the run game is great, we can blame Roman for not calling play action, hard play action routes down the seam or behind the backers deep, consistently. But if Lamar is not hitting those, if he can't make those throws in practice consistently, how can Roman call those plays?

I think we have a mixed back of blame here and yes Lamar does deserve some of the blame if you will, if he can't read the option, or make the throw....

After a few weeks if the defensive ratchets down again like last yr start calling those pass plays.  Put Lamar on full display.  Sink or swim.  It will show just what kind of QB he is.

59 minutes ago, GrubberRaven said:

Lamar may not be a perfect QB in the eyes of some, but he has won for us, despite the mediocre passing schemes/talent around him.  Seriously, f Roman...

No WR will play in this run first offense with so few attempts in the air.  It hurt them on the market in their next contract.

26 minutes ago, papasmurfbell said:

After a few weeks if the defensive ratchets down again like last yr start calling those pass plays.  Put Lamar on full display.  Sink or swim.  It will show just what kind of QB he is.

No WR will play in this run first offense with so few attempts in the air.  It hurt them on the market in their next contract.

Both of these instances will not help Lamar succeed if the coaching fails him.  You're going in circles.

1 hour ago, GrubberRaven said:

Is it.Roman's system? Or is it the passing talent he has had to work with?

How much of the wide outs not signing here is because of the small cap this year and them wantinf one year deala?

I think both is probably the best bet.  A coach like Shannahan could work the system to get Lamar more comfortable.  Also route combos that get guys open in more advantageous places.  But he would have to make tweaks and I am not sue Lamar would be dynamic in teh pass game.  Just more respectable and that could be enough.

I have more faith that Roman's inability to plan a passing attack is at fault than I do Lamar's abilities at this point. I hope to two coaches added and the Culley subtraction help out.

Not a fan of adding a WR at this point.  Would like to see what Proche/Duvernay add

On 3/24/2021 at 3:11 PM, tsylvester said:

Plus what good is a 8 yard pass for a first down in the middle of the field if he should have thrown a six yard pass to a different spot?

And running for the first? "How exciting".

11 hours ago, Spen said:

Plus what good is a 8 yard pass for a first down in the middle of the field if he should have thrown a six yard pass to a different spot?

And running for the first? "How exciting".

There was a play lasr season where the Ravens had to run the clock out. However, the defense went into tight man, crowded the line of scrimmage, no room to run, no options for short passes. Lamar hit Brown down the sidelines, perfectly placed over the shoulder beating man coverage; 20 + yards, first down, game over.

This play in that game forced the defense to back off, play 2 deep, 7 in the box instead of 8-9 men box which allowed the Ravens to run the clock out.

My point is that sometimes in a game, to gain momentum, to change a defense's coverage to a more advantageous one, a big pass play is needed. For me, so that we are clear, I am not talking about excitement, but scheme, wins, especially in the post season.

If a running team can't get the safeties to back off, can't force the linebackers to delay a step or maybe even take a step backward, then the running game stalls, especially after you pass midfield. The result is as we have seen in the last two years in the playoffs; losses.

Lamar has, as I said, made that throw once in each of the last two seasons, he has attempted it maybe 5 times total last year. But rarely more than once in A game. Any analyst worth their salt will tell you, that even just attemtping that throw can make a defender think; then you have the advantage.

Can he make that throw more consistently, attmept more often, is it called often? All questions we do not have the answers for at this time.