ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Roman is Gone

deeshopper

Greg Roman will no longer be the Ravens’ offensive coordinator after a four-year run in which he designed the most productive ground game in NFL history but frustrated fans by failing to build a commensurate passing attack.

“After visiting with Coach Harbaugh and after huddling with my family, I have decided that now is the right time to move on from the Ravens so that I can explore new challenges and opportunities,” Roman said in a statement released Thursday afternoon by his agent.

The Ravens enjoyed the greatest offensive season in franchise history in 2019 but also suffered some of their most frustrating defeats with Roman calling the plays. He helped unleash quarterback Lamar Jackson as one of the sport’s most exciting offensive centerpieces, but critics wondered if he ultimately held Jackson back with unimaginative passing designs.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh praised his departing offensive coordinator in a statement: “Greg has led the development and success of a record-setting offense in Baltimore for several seasons. He is a tremendous football coach, as well as family man and person. Greg devised and led our offense to no fewer than 26 historical NFL and franchise achievements. He established an identity for our offense. We are grateful for Greg’s great work and abilities, and we wish him and his wonderful family the utmost happiness going forward.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-offensive-coordinator-greg-roman-out-20230119-l2mzghumv5hzbha65pddwxkxay-story.html?fbclid=IwAR0poNi2L0nlpee-A6gVNkskeiOKPukctSiz0_8tZc9IzyDMF4G4M6cJJuw

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, cravnravn said:

Brady qualified for AARP, the game is passed him by. But two years ago he won a SB with the old man.

Yea ... let's not knock old men around here....Image result for naked old man on motorcycle

26 minutes ago, cravnravn said:

Brady qualified for AARP, the game is passed him by. But two years ago he won a SB with the old man.

Ah, Arians was overseeing the offense, this was the first year with the proverbial training wheels off.

They were deadly, as the media says, in play action, but rarely called for play action... we've seen that show, ive screamed till I have no voice left

54 minutes ago, vmax said:

I don't want to see him in a Steelers or Browns uniform.

Are you talking about Lamar? We'd never trade him to a division opponent IMHO.

59 minutes ago, vmax said:

I have a feeling Lamar is going to mostly involved in getting a new contract with plenty of guaranteed money.

But if they can sign him to a cap/guaranteed friendly deal, it might be interesting to see him with a new OC here. But what I really believe is that we need a different style quarterback to go with the 'new style' offense.

I'm trying hard to keep an open mind.

5 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Please no, not here, he couldn't get anything going with Brady, Mike Evans & company, what makes anyone think he can help this offense?

Thet OL was totally destroyed.  This yr should have been a mulligan.  

Also no Arans made it so there was no taskmaster to keep the teams eyes on the prize.  Until the yr Brady had that with Bruce or Bill.

On the Roman front this reads to me as Turdy having his hand forced.  Waiting this long and then putting out that statement.

7 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

On the Roman front this reads to me as Turdy having his hand forced.  Waiting this long and then putting out that statement.

I don't know Papa, I think he saw the writing on the wall (with Eric/Steve forcing his head to look at it), but the Ravens have always handled dismissals differently than most groups.   

Yeah, I think this was more of a mutual agreement. Jk's comments, looking at the tailspin thr offense was in, maybe even the thought of starting over with a new qb had Roman saying time to move on. Who knows, with all of the open jobs now, maybe he really did want a fresh start.

And so it starts, a good start, just a request, but clear what path they are looking to take

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/20/ravens-chargers-request-interview-with-zac-robinson-for-oc/

According to Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, both the Ravens and the Chargers have requested to interview Rams pass game coordinator/QBs coach Zac Robinson for their respective offensive coordinator openings.

Robinson has been with the Rams since 2019. He was initially the team’s assistant QBs coach before working with the receivers in 2020. He went back to being the assistant QBs coach in 2021 and was promoted to his current role in 2022.

Robinson was a seventh-round pick by the Patriots in 2010 and also spent time with the Seahawks, Lions, and Bengals. But he did not ever appear in a regular-season game.

The Ravens need a new offensive coordinator after Greg Roman stepped down earlier this week.

And another

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/01/ravens-request-interview-with-chad-oshea-browns-wr-coach-for-their-offensive-coordinator-vacancy.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Chad O’Shea could go from trying to beat the Ravens to trying to help them beat the Browns.

O’Shea, the Browns wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator since 2020, has received a request from the Ravens to interview for their offensive coordinator vacancy, a league source told cleveland.com. He would replace Greg Roman, who parted ways with the team this week.

The Browns and other NFL teams must grant permission for such promotions

O’Shea, 50, interviewed Friday for the Jets coordinator vacancy, but the Ravens opening is likely more attractive because of the quarterback position. The Jets are in a state of flux at QB, whereas the Ravens are confident Lamar Jackson will be back despite the fact they haven’t yet signed him to the blockbuster extension

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-request-permission-to-interview-seahawks-qbs-coach-dave-canales-for-offensive-coordinator-per-report/

The Baltimore Ravens parted ways with offensive coordinator Greg Roman this week, and they are now in pursuit of a new lead man on offense. Per ESPN, the Ravens have requested permission to speak with Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks coach Dave Canales for their open offensive coordinator job. 

Canales has been with the Seahawks since 2010. He has worked as the wide receivers coach, quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator for Seattle. Previously, Canales served as USC's offensive administrative assistant for one year, where he worked as an assistant strength coach and some with the quarterbacks, per his profile on the Seahawks' official website.

The Seahawks, of course, were one of the biggest surprises in the NFL this season, making the playoffs as the No. 7 seed even after parting ways with franchise quarterback Russell Wilson in the offseason. Canales' work with new quarterback Geno Smith was a big reason for Seattle's success in 2022, as the former backup signal-caller completed 69.8 percent of his passes for 4,282 yards, 30 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, earning a Pro Bowl bid for the first time in his career. 

33 minutes ago, papasmurfbell said:

I hope ppl watched Philly hard last night.  Tht offense is so similar to what we run now but has actual passing concepts in it.

Yep, been saying it all season. Sure, they have one top receiver, but it has been Hurts and working on his passing, the receivers having routes that work to get them open.