ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Near Deal with Rolando McClain

colincac

As long as we get him on the cheap I guess its okay. Replacing 2 HOF players with 2 Raiders busts. I fully expect Oz to draft Safety and ILB in the draft.

Huff is far from a bust... Been one of the better safety's in the league for awhile whilst playing on a team in disarray. McClain also went for 99 tackles and 5 sacks in 2011 so he has shown some potential.

This was very interesting to me:

Love it RT @AdamSchefter Former Raiders LB Rolando McClain is nearing deal with Ravens.

I love this pick up. He has off field issues but part of me thinks Ozzie sees these Alabama guys and thinks he can put his arm round them and protect and nurture them. If he can, then this could be a great pick up. Rolando can play in Ellerbe's role and attack the LOS from the ILB spot. And best of all, Rolando was waived so he doesn't impact the compensatory pick calculation. Ozzie games the system once again.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Report-Rolando-McClain-Says-He%E2%80%99s-Signing-1-Year-Deal-With-Ravens/bf6241ea-e5ba-4b58-82e1-081264d132ca

Looks to be official soon. Actually sad this is only a 1 year deal. Was hoping we could get him cheap (with low guarantees) for a few years so if he bounces back we wouldn't have to pay him market value.

The only way this works for the Ravens is that McClain has totally got the message and wake up call on his ignominious release from the Raiders. That he understands that he is viewed as a player who is only interested in picking up a check and partying, that he was immature and has wasted his talent and that after this stop, he's on his way out of the NFL if he doesn't grow up and produce.

To me he is the antithesis of what a Raven is.

He has to show that he has changed in his core and is worthy of his uniform by his actions and performance.

I'm head scratching on this deal.

We get rid of trouble by releasing Pollard - a guy who played and hit like a Raven. Now we pick up double trouble by signing a guy with un-Raven like character. Can anyone explain this move ?

No wise cracks please :)

Well, from past experiences with this club, it has now taken a hard nosed stance, a one strike and you are out club. If he stirs any shit, he will be gone. Its a very low risk, high reward move. What Raven has gotten into any trouble with the law in the past 5 years? Im thinking that kick returner that popped for a DWI, then he was released from jail, then released from the Ravens.

I think Oz has a soft spot for Alabama guys. Some have worked out though Cody hasn't.

If he doesn't look like he's going to work out, we can always cut him during the preseason, I suppose.

That goes without saying. He is the one who wanted Cody.

I read elsewhere that it is a 700K contract. That is dirt cheap. If he acts up he is out with no problems to the club.

That goes without saying. He is the one who wanted Cody.

I read elsewhere that it is a 700K contract. That is dirt cheap. If he acts up he is out with no problems to the club.

Cody fell to us in the draft after we traded back though, we could've taken him with our 1st rounder and people wouldn't have said it was a reach. We also were in need of a NT, and Cody actually played really well in his first year before stumbling last year. I think this is a great move, allows us to go BPA with our 1st rounder whereas before we were probably set to reach for a MLB.