10 replies to this topic

#1 oldno82

oldno82

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:54 PM

Pundits Buying Into a Joe Flacco Resurgence

The week leading up to Week 1 is always rife with predictions for the upcoming year (make sure to read LFW tomorrow to see what pundits have been saying about the Ravens’ chances).

Analysts aren’t just predicting how teams will fare, but also which players are set to have standout seasons. Quarterback Joe Flacco has been mentioned in plenty of these previews, including ESPN’s. The website made a variety of predictions about how Baltimore’s season will play out, which included a big individual campaign from Flacco.

“Flacco will surpass his single-season passing mark of 4,317 yards and reach 30 touchdowns for the first time in his career,” ESPN wrote. “Teammates say the drafting of Jackson has lit a fire under Flacco, who's also healthier than he has been since 2014. All signs point to Flacco delivering a career year.”

Let’s hope ESPN is correct about that one.

ESPN isn’t the only one predicting a big season from the 33-year-old. Sports Illustrated’s Peter King named Flacco as the No. 2 candidate to be the NFL’s Comeback Player of the Year, behind Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck.

This isn’t the first time King has praised Flacco this offseason. Back in mid-August, King named the Ravens as his most overlooked team for the 2018 season, and his reasoning for that was Flacco.

“He’s supremely motivated to say, ‘You draft a quarterback No. 1? I’m going to make him sit for the next five years,’” King said.

The presence of rookie quarterback Lamar Jackson may be factoring into Flacco’s motivation for this upcoming season, but only he knows that. However, a lot of pundits who expect big things from Flacco, ESPN and King included, are citing Jackson being a Raven as a big reason for him to put forth his best effort to raise his game.

“The story of Joe Flacco is you test him and he turns into an all-time great. It’s incredible,” NFL Network’s Good Morning Football’s Kyle Brandt said.

Martindale will bring pressure from anywhere on the field under any situation. He has the psyche of former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan. He doesn’t give a damn because his style rules.

#2 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:50 PM

Peter Kingthe guy who said they would be in the SB like 2 yrs ago?  The Ravens website is a propaganda outlet.

k2-_2564f5e3-aa08-456b-81e9-b7cffd9b394d

Fako, Joe Fako I am the Pick Machine!!!

#3 vmax

vmax

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,775 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:22 PM

I just saw Joe in an interview. I've never seen him speak about the offense so confidently. He actually said they are going to be exciting to watch.

Then Harbaugh....he was smiling from ear to ear. You could feel how happy he is with where this team is at after this long preseason. He's confident and excited.

Weddle was the same about the D.

An airtight defense can get the Ravens to the playoffs, but the Flacco who showed up Sunday resembled the one who led the franchise to its last Super Bowl berth. He was the one who coaches and teammates, all preseason long, had said was capable of this.

#4 oldno82

oldno82

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:47 PM

Joe is confident, no doubt about it. He looks like he really can't wait to start this season. Seems happier to me too.

Martindale will bring pressure from anywhere on the field under any situation. He has the psyche of former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan. He doesn’t give a damn because his style rules.

#5 krf82

krf82

Undrafted Free Agent

• 238 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:53 AM

Getting people in the stands by selling tickets is a high priority.

Nothing better than a positive bent.

My purple glasses are on. 

Might need a few glasses of the brew, too!

#6 vmax

vmax

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,775 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:01 PM

I'm totally excited and can't wait to be there Sunday.

Nobody is talking about Collins. The Bills have a shitty run D.

Pound it. :gorave:

An airtight defense can get the Ravens to the playoffs, but the Flacco who showed up Sunday resembled the one who led the franchise to its last Super Bowl berth. He was the one who coaches and teammates, all preseason long, had said was capable of this.

#7 tsylvester

tsylvester

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:55 AM

Bring your rain coat, gonna be soggy...

#8 oldno82

oldno82

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:30 PM

Even more reason to run the ball.

#9 tsylvester

tsylvester

Veteran

• PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:41 PM

Well, at least try to run the ball, they have not shown that they can run the ball, consistently, in a few years....

#10 vmax

vmax

Hall of Famer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,775 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:27 PM

Here's the longest article and interview that I've seen on Joe. It's really good.

https://www.baltimor...tion-and-future

As he mentioned Wednesday, he expects Baltimore to “put an exciting product on the field” for fans. Their previous more cautious approach is one reason Flacco believes he hasn’t put up gaudy stats.

“I think a lot of it is the style of football we play,” Flacco said. “We’ve always had really good defenses and we play to win football games. We don’t necessarily play to be pretty.

“Listen, winning the game is the most important thing. Me playing well is really important. Me having really good statistics so it looks to everybody else that I play well, that’s important to me also. But I’ll sacrifice that in order to win games.” As he mentioned Wednesday, he expects Baltimore to “put an exciting product on the field” for fans. Their previous more cautious approach is one reason Flacco believes he hasn’t put up gaudy stats.

“I think a lot of it is the style of football we play,” Flacco said. “We’ve always had really good defenses and we play to win football games. We don’t necessarily play to be pretty.

“Listen, winning the game is the most important thing. Me playing well is really important. Me having really good statistics so it looks to everybody else that I play well, that’s important to me also. But I’ll sacrifice that in order to win games.”....https://www.baltimor...tion-and-future

flacco.jpg?w=640

#11 JPPT1974

JPPT1974

Undrafted Free Agent

• 358 posts
  • Interests:Read, write, exercise, game shows, music, internet, NFL, Christ!

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:58 PM

Love that cigar he is smoking. Really hope he can redeem himself. But so far preseason looked great. Now onto the regular season.

October Skies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users