ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Joe...

oldno82

Pundits Buying Into a Joe Flacco Resurgence

The week leading up to Week 1 is always rife with predictions for the upcoming year (make sure to read LFW tomorrow to see what pundits have been saying about the Ravens’ chances).

Analysts aren’t just predicting how teams will fare, but also which players are set to have standout seasons. Quarterback Joe Flacco has been mentioned in plenty of these previews, including ESPN’s. The website made a variety of predictions about how Baltimore’s season will play out, which included a big individual campaign from Flacco.

“Flacco will surpass his single-season passing mark of 4,317 yards and reach 30 touchdowns for the first time in his career,” ESPN wrote. “Teammates say the drafting of Jackson has lit a fire under Flacco, who's also healthier than he has been since 2014. All signs point to Flacco delivering a career year.”

Let’s hope ESPN is correct about that one.

ESPN isn’t the only one predicting a big season from the 33-year-old. Sports Illustrated’s Peter King named Flacco as the No. 2 candidate to be the NFL’s Comeback Player of the Year, behind Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck.

This isn’t the first time King has praised Flacco this offseason. Back in mid-August, King named the Ravens as his most overlooked team for the 2018 season, and his reasoning for that was Flacco.

“He’s supremely motivated to say, ‘You draft a quarterback No. 1? I’m going to make him sit for the next five years,’” King said.

The presence of rookie quarterback Lamar Jackson may be factoring into Flacco’s motivation for this upcoming season, but only he knows that. However, a lot of pundits who expect big things from Flacco, ESPN and King included, are citing Jackson being a Raven as a big reason for him to put forth his best effort to raise his game.

“The story of Joe Flacco is you test him and he turns into an all-time great. It’s incredible,” NFL Network’s Good Morning Football’s Kyle Brandt said.

I just saw Joe in an interview. I've never seen him speak about the offense so confidently. He actually said they are going to be exciting to watch.

Then Harbaugh....he was smiling from ear to ear. You could feel how happy he is with where this team is at after this long preseason. He's confident and excited.

Weddle was the same about the D.

Here's the longest article and interview that I've seen on Joe. It's really good.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/joe-flacco-opens-up-about-lamar-jackson-his-motivation-and-future

As he mentioned Wednesday, he expects Baltimore to “put an exciting product on the field” for fans. Their previous more cautious approach is one reason Flacco believes he hasn’t put up gaudy stats.

“I think a lot of it is the style of football we play,” Flacco said. “We’ve always had really good defenses and we play to win football games. We don’t necessarily play to be pretty.

“Listen, winning the game is the most important thing. Me playing well is really important. Me having really good statistics so it looks to everybody else that I play well, that’s important to me also. But I’ll sacrifice that in order to win games.” As he mentioned Wednesday, he expects Baltimore to “put an exciting product on the field” for fans. Their previous more cautious approach is one reason Flacco believes he hasn’t put up gaudy stats.

“I think a lot of it is the style of football we play,” Flacco said. “We’ve always had really good defenses and we play to win football games. We don’t necessarily play to be pretty.

“Listen, winning the game is the most important thing. Me playing well is really important. Me having really good statistics so it looks to everybody else that I play well, that’s important to me also. But I’ll sacrifice that in order to win games.”....https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/joe-flacco-opens-up-about-lamar-jackson-his-motivation-and-future

flacco.jpg?w=640

• 3 weeks later...

One thing this team has going is the red zone efficiency. No Ravens team in history has even come close to what they have done so far. Tey have always been entirely to reliant on the FG and didn't finish. If this keeps up they are definately a different team. I do think Joe has to be given a great deal of the credit for it also.

Play calling, 12 for 12 is incredible, of course the players need credit too, we shall see what pace they keep up.

I saw a show breaking down some redzone plays for the Rams, the route combinations used to exploit a defense, phenomenal stuff, stuff they used to have all the time, now the shows arw just fake banter garbage.

In any event, it just shows that it takes more than just players to make the plays work and proper play calling, design goes a long way.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24950420/joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-wife-gives-crap-wr-disinterest

Joe Flacco: Wife says I need to look more interested when lined up at WR

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco has drawn criticism from an unlikely source for his less-than-enthusiastic approach to lining up at wide receiver when Lamar Jackson comes in as the QB.

"My wife gave me crap the one day, told me I need to look more interested out there," Flacco said Wednesday. "But I'm just trying to stay out of it. I'm not comfortable out there. I don't need to get too creative."

Flacco has said that he supports any plays that help the offense gain yards, which is a more diplomatic stance than in previous years. In 2013, Flacco ripped the use of the Wildcat offense with then-backup quarterback Tyrod Taylor, calling it a "high school offense."

This year, defenses usually put one defender on Flacco, but the Super Bowl-winning quarterback acknowledged he isn't doing much to trick teams.

"You can see me. I'm out there just standing," Flacco said. "I really just try to stay out of the way of everything. That's what I'm told to do. That's what I'm doing."

The last time Flacco played wide receiver on a regular basis was in middle school, when he first played football. Flacco has two career catches in the NFL, including one that went for 43 yards against Oakland in 2008, his rookie season.

Asked if there is any scenario in which he will catch a pass this season, Flacco said with a laugh, "I sure hope not."

If defenses don't cover Flacco, coach John Harbaugh said the Ravens will throw a pass to the 11-year veteran. Ravens players believe that could happen.

"He's just luring defenses to sleep," running back Alex Collins said. "He said he was afraid earlier, but he might be catching some passes if they're not paying attention to him. That's a good thing. Let him keep tricking them over there."

This plan is not working. It makes no sense.

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/95579/can-ravens-win-with-joe-flacco-throwing-700-passes-this-year

Can Ravens win with Joe Flacco throwing 700 passes this year?

"The optimum pass attempts and run attempts are really whatever the hell gets you the win," Flacco said Wednesday.

Flacco is on pace to throw 726 passes this season, which is one shy of the NFL single-season record set by Matthew Stafford in 2012. The Ravens are 3-2 and one game back of the Cincinnati Bengals in the AFC North, but league history and Flacco's track record suggest that Baltimore can't win with Flacco averaging 45 throws per game.

Flacco has a record of 8-22 (.266) when passing 45 or more times in a game. Over the past five years, only 10 quarterbacks have reached the postseason after finishing the season in the top five in pass attempts.

I kind of admire Joe for stating why he does what he does, but if the coaches are telling him to avoid contact or whatever, then why do the damn play at all.

I really hope, if we are not playoff bound, Harbaugh is let go.

I don't like Flacco out there either. Put a TE out there who can at least run block for Jackson.

The only reason would be they are setting up a trick play for later in the season. Otherwise we are asking for trouble.

I'm surprised no team has put a LB out there on him and told the LB to hit Joe when the ball is snapped.

I don't like Flacco out there either. Put a TE out there who can at least run block for Jackson.

The only reason would be they are setting up a trick play for later in the season. Otherwise we are asking for trouble.

I'm surprised no team has put a LB out there on him and told the LB to hit Joe when the ball is snapped.

That is exactly what I would do. WIthin 5 yds he is a free target.