ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Getting tired of Harbaugh's Coach-Speak?

vmax

I'm starting to.

Don't tell me they are trying to be the best team they can be from one day to the next...from week to week.

It sounds good but they're not getting better.

Ravens football is not 4 turnovers and a 20-13 lead in the 4th quarter against the worst team in the NFL.

I know Ravens football because I've been here longer than Harbaugh.

Ravens football is...

Tackling. The Ravens I know stop the man dead in his tracks. No wiffing one armed shit.

Dominant D line...this one is getting pushed around.

Speed. These guys are slower than any team I've seen in years.

Passon. Sorry...don't see it.

60 minutes: This lot takes whole quarters off.

Run the football...pound it down the opponents throat: I see token committment to the running game. Get physical...with an attitude. Where's Zeus when you need him? :)

I'm looking at the remaining schedule and this team could easily pick up 4 more losses...easily.

Why?

Lot's of teams fade this time of year because they have not matured or become better.

Instead, the weaknesses have been laid bare for all to see.

Pittsburg knows the weak spots.. The Browns are getting better and will do everything to make a statement. They are hungry even though they are out of it.

The Ravens can't beat the Bengals no matter how bad they are. The Saints and Drew Brees will not be mercifull to the Ravens D like the Ravens O was to the Panthers.

2-11 on 3rd down...that's not Ravens football.

Getting squat in the redzone...that's bullshit.

Maybe this team isn't hungry.

Maybe it's all words....just a business...a day at the office...try to please the boss and collect the check on Friday.

There's some Ravens on this team but not enough.

Here's a Raven...60 minute, non stop, out of his mind player.

17809146.jpg

The guys on the other side of the ball get paid too. We are 7-3 with three loses by a combined 13 points. Don't under estimate how hard it is to win a game on the road, no matter who we are playing. Going into Atlanta and New England are two of the most dificult places to win in the league. The bottom line is that under Harbaugh we have been in nearly every single game down to the last possession, no matter who we have played. You lose a game against the Falcons letting up a game winning drive, you win a game with a touchdown drive against one of the top defenses in the league in the Steelers. That's the NFL.

As for Harbaugh and his coach speak, is he really going to say we suck in the press conference to the media? I guarantee what he tells the media is nowhere near what he is telling the team.

Max,

What youve described as Ravens football and what we dont currently have is simply... IT.

We may be 7-3 but we dont have IT. In my opinion, we are getting further away from IT as the season has progresed. Cant fully explain why but we dont play:

with relentless passion for 4 quarters

all 3 phases consistently every game (or even most of the game)

with a sense of urgency

with character and chemistry (as our old friend Sock used to say)

like its our last game

All this adds up to not having IT.

Can we get IT ? Yes. Do we have IT ? No.

Will we get IT ? Dont know but there's time. Maybe.

Max,

What youve described as Ravens football and what we dont currently have is simply... IT.

We may be 7-3 but we dont have IT. In my opinion, we are getting further away from IT as the season has progresed. Cant fully explain why but we dont play:

with relentless passion for 4 quarters

all 3 phases consistently every game (or even most of the game)

with a sense of urgency

with character and chemistry (as our old friend Sock used to say)

like its our last game

All this adds up to not having IT.

Can we get IT ? Yes. Do we have IT ? No.

Will we get IT ? Dont know but there's time. Maybe.

I agree with you, the "it" factor isn't there yet. However, I felt we definitely had the "it" factor in 2003, but lost to the Titans. I felt the same way again for the 12-4 season in 2006, but we lost to the Colts. It all comes down to who's hot and who's healthy when the playoffs come around.

well...I feel better having let that off my chest.

Here's where I'm comming from.

You know me...I bleed purple...Fanatic...PSL holder from the beginning...ect.

Well Sunday...dead serious here...I almost fell asleep during the 3rd quarter!

I'm fighting to keep my eyes open.

Somethings wrong here.

I think you have to relax...everyone is too emotional right now. This team has been hyped to much and it's killing all us fans to not see a machine blow every opponent out of the water. Fact is - this is the NFL, notin comes easy. We have had one of the toughest schedules in the league, shown flashes of brillance on both sides of the ball and not once been considered out of the game. You find me one team that is playing like a Super Bowl Contender and I will give you reasons why they aren't.

Sit back and enjoy, we could be the bills, bengals, panthers, etc.

I am with you ravensnest.

As for Harbs speeches.. You have to credtit Ozzie for getting some pretty dominating media people like Billick and now Harbs.. Compare them to the rest of the league; it could be worse.. try Sparano, John Fox, Belicheat, Mangini, Tomlin etc. Most of them hardly communicate to the camera.. but to the ground, door whatever not the camera.

Harbs is pro, and he controls, boring, still just like Billick, not afraid of the confrontation.. They almost enjoy it, not afraid of the battle with media and fans.. unlike so many other HCs in the league.

I agree with Spen.

It's all the same. Rex Ryan gets credit for not "covering it up"... which I think simply means he curses or nearly curses.

I actually thought Billick was about as upfront as you could get... sure, he didn't tell us anything, but he avoided stupid cliches at times.

Billick's "That's a problem. I'm going to fix it." was far more direct than Harbaugh's "Well, you know, we're going in a lot of directions and I want to get us on one path and we're doing that."

I think you have to relax...everyone is too emotional right now. This team has been hyped to much and it's killing all us fans to not see a machine blow every opponent out of the water. Fact is - this is the NFL, notin comes easy. We have had one of the toughest schedules in the league, shown flashes of brillance on both sides of the ball and not once been considered out of the game. You find me one team that is playing like a Super Bowl Contender and I will give you reasons why they aren't.

Sit back and enjoy, we could be the bills, bengals, panthers, etc.

You're right. I was blowing off steam.

When I slow down and get gratefully there is a ton to love about this team. That's why I'll be out there Sunday yelling my face off.

well...I feel better having let that off my chest.

Here's where I'm comming from.

You know me...I bleed purple...Fanatic...PSL holder from the beginning...ect.

Well Sunday...dead serious here...I almost fell asleep during the 3rd quarter!

I'm fighting to keep my eyes open.

Somethings wrong here.

LOL about 5 years ago I felt similar. I commented here about how I was far more interested in the Ravens and their games than any other, but how just about any other game I watched each week was more exciting than ours was. I think we were a boring drab team to watch for a couple of seasons. The defense was good, not great, and the offense was bad and vanilla.

I was told variations of "if you really like the team then this game will be the most entertaining to you" or "who cares about that if they win". I understand the sentiments but I disagreed. Beyond the wins and losses this is a show, a product, and some teams are certainly more entertaining than others. Some are good, some are not so good.

Either way, I think they are much better and more exciting to watch now.

Like you, Spen, I understand what the sentiments are about winning being the most important thing, but I heartily agree that a team has to have SOME measure of entertainment value as well. This year, more than any in a long time, the Ravens' offense is indeed entertaining. I just wish they could do it for a whole game.

Most coach speak is kind of the same to me. People used to complain about Billick's answers to questions posed, I don't hear much difference in substance from him to Harbaugh. Or any random coach.

Nor I. If Harbaugh is even more blandly coach-like in his media dealings, great. He seems to relate well across the board with the team and organization. Forget the rest.

edit: regarding the "shift" in team philosophy, it's about time the offensive could support or even front the defense a bit, I'm liking the way the current offense (slightly more pass-oriented) can take control. If the reins had been slackened a bit at the end of the Pat's game maybe this team would be #1 in the rankings and in firm control of AFC supremacy.

Guest BallTMore

So it seems the coach speak has disappeared for this week. Harbaugh has voiced his displeasure with the offense and seems to be in full kick ass mode.

I like it to a certain degree, but I do find it funny that he is jumping on the offense. Where was this attitude when the defense was playing like junk against the Falcons, Pats and Bills at the end of the game?

Personally, I think the damage is already done. The loss to the Steelers pretty much leaves us as a 5th or 6th seed. This team will have to find a serious nasty streak for the rest of these games for me to think we can do any damage in the playoffs.

So, will the team and coaches respond and actually back up the tough talk, or will this be Harbaugh's Mike Tomlin moment? Will we truly, "unleash hell"?

What do you think?

Don't know BallT.

He stated the obvious...

"We should be an offense that is scoring a heck of lot more than 10 points in any particular football game," Harbaugh said bluntly. "We've got to get better. We're not good enough on offense, there's no question about it."

I admire him for that and it's good to know he feels as let down as I feel.

How will the team respond?

Not like Tomlin's "Unleash Hell" BS.

I think this will make them better...the sense of urgency and the glimpse that their dream can only be taken away from them by themselves will help them be a 60 minute team from here on out.

http://baltimoresportsreport.com/harbaugh-to-fan-go-find-another-team-to-cheer-for-10400.html

“I’m proud of this football team,” Harbaugh said. “I’m proud of our defense. I’m proud of our offense. We will fight our tails off to be the best team we can every single week.”

Then he got a bit testy.

“If that’s not enough for you then go find another team to cheer for. If you’re not proud of this team then you don’t know football,” Harbaugh said.

I am surprised nobody posed this. When thing actually get bad this very statement will be used against him. Coming from Philthy he should be more prepared for critical looks at the team.

I am guessing Byrne got to him today. No he is trying to walk back from the statement.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/12/harbaugh_clarifies_his_radio_remarks.html

“I fully understand that fans will not agree with everything we do,” he continued. “And they have every right to voice their opinion. My comment was directed at the one caller, and not all fans.”

Guest BallTMore

Well, as he said in the later quote. It was a response to one fan that rubbed him the wrong way, not the entire fanbase.

Honestly, what he said doesn't bother me. Fans take shots at coaches and players all the time. Harbaugh fired back in frustration. It happens.