ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Game Thoughts

vmax

115.4 QB rating

Joe looked damn good today. Cam did open it up. 390 yards of offense... 41.4 minutes of Time of Possession! That's unreal.

A big part of that was the D held KC to 1 for 8 on 3rd down. Give the O the ball and they will break a team down. They fought like wild men today.

This is the kinda game that can propel a team into the superbowl. The Steelers are in the way. We can beat the Steelers if they build off todays game. I thought at first that our tackling sucked but in hindsight I feel they overan players and opportunities. They need to play within thereselves. They tire from overexertion when its not necessary. The offense showed up today. And I think its time to stop bashing Cameron. Cameron called a magnificent game today. I have felt season long that Cam wasn't what held our offense back but Flacco maturing as a QB. He gave Flacco more leash then usual.Sometimes Flacco excelled other times he stumbled. I hate to harp on it but Flacco has got to take whats available. Flacco matured as an nfl QB today against the Chiefs. He needs to mature against the Steelers next week. I think he can DO it. GOOOOO Ravens. Way to step it up. I'm psyched!

Guest BallTMore
the defense was after Cassel all day.

That was the surprising part. The blitzes! Where were those all season?

Mattison clearly had no respect for Cassel. And Cassel proved why he didn't deserve it.

Even though it was rough at the start, give the Oline and Oher in particular credit for a solid game after a shaky beginning. And yes Flacco looked solid, and the pass distribution was broad enough to key their secondary honest and let us have a guy open. I think about how Sanchez' utter inaccuracy almost cost the Jets the game, and how Flacco was really accurate today, and how lucky we are to have him. This was by far his best playoff performance, and we totally needed it because the chiefs were selling out against Rice and the run game (until they just couldn't anymore.) Kudos to the D, totally dominant minus like maybe 3 plays that most teams will get against us a couple times; I especially like how they shut Charles down in the second half, and the secondary also closed up shop. How many pass attempts did Cassell have to receivers? couldn't have been more than 10...or it certainly seemed like that.

Joe played better and better as the game progressed. He overcame that untimely fumble at the KC 1 yard line (though he recovered it) and the one that KC scored off of. He's got a lot of poise. Receivers were well covered on most plays, except for Heap and Joe made them pay.

But, as good as we were, we'll have to be even better to score against the Steelers in PIttsburgh next Saturday.

Kudos for a game well called by Cam and Mattison!

There were a ton of sweet plays...

the interceptions...Cody flopping on Charles...Heap had an insane day...Willis carrying that defender into the endzone...Gregg getting pressure up the middle...

Ray stripped a ball and got a sack.

3bff4883674d86baca27fc699926e2d3.jpg

Not to be a downer, but as I have said all weekend, the Chiefs are not up to our level of competition and I fully expected to win this game. The Steelers are a much better team. Nevertheless, it was still good to win 30-7 and not 13-7. As good as Flacco did look, he did miss a couple of open receivers. Although, it was clear Flacco was going through his progression hitting his secondary receivers, he was attacking the middle of the field, it was good to see Flacco going to Heap, and Flacco made plays with his feet keeping the defense honest.

What is concerning was how weak the offensive line play was. Outside of that 25-yard run by McGahee, our backs had no room the run, we couldn't convert a touchdown with three plays on the one yard line, and Flacco was sacked four times and hit many more. Tamba Hali was beating Oher's ass, there will be no room for error next week against Harrison and Woodley. Flacco probably should have been sacked a few more times but he displayed a quick release today.

On the bright side, the defense played very well. The pass rush turned it up in the second half and the pass defense was excellent. On offense Cam Cameron had a very solid gameplan. We attacked the middle of the field, and there were lots of crossing routes, with guys coming free from picks, that we have not seen all season. These are the types of routes we will have to use against Pittsburgh to counter the blitz.

This was a great win going into a hostile environment and completely dominating the Chiefs. We have lots to build upon, such as Flacco's first solid playoff game and an excellent defensive effort. However, the Chiefs are a JV team compared to the Steelers and we will have to continue to get better to beat them next week.

Did anybody see Harbaugh and the team give Ed Reed the game ball? Ed broke down...it's was very emotional.

yeah they showed that in the post-game locker room clip, Reed was definitely choked up. and Reed's getting a private jet from the ravens to go back to his family.

Ok, where do I sign up for the Derrick Mason workout plan? Just sayin..

What is concerning was how weak the offensive line play was. Outside of that 25-yard run by McGahee, our backs had no room the run, we couldn't convert a touchdown with three plays on the one yard line, and Flacco was sacked four times and hit many more. Tamba Hali was beating Oher's ass, there will be no room for error next week against Harrison and Woodley. Flacco probably should have been sacked a few more times but he displayed a quick release today.

The good news is that, with both original starting tackles out for the season, the Steelers O-line is just as bad if not worse than ours. Ngata and Suggs should have a field day against Big Ben. Really, the game will come down to which QB handles the pressure the best (which is why we really missed Heap last time).