ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Good Timing, Troy

Guest BallTMore

Guest BallTMore

Nothing wrong with wanting to be a starter, but couldn't this have waited until after the season?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/28/ravens-notified-of-troy-smiths-trade-request/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 28, 2009 2:09 PM ET

Ravens quarterback Troy Smith seems like a thoughtful, talented young player that could have a long career in the NFL. But he could work on his timing.

Earlier this month, Smith gained attention for his dance steps after his touchdown gave the Ravens a 48-3 lead over Detroit.

Now his agent Ralph Cindrich is making it known through his Twitter account that Smith has notified the Ravens that he wants a trade, just six days before the Ravens try to clinch a playoff spot.

Well, the past the trade deadline stuff hardly matters... he's requesting it after the season/playoffs.

But the timing is stupid ... you don't say it mid-playoff run.

Agreed. Although, one: the "mid-playoff" run with either not exist or be a short one, and two: Smith hasn't opened his mouth.

Never know what whiny superstar is going to want out of his town this off-season ... Troy could be a nice piece to add to a trade package.

I have no doubt that Ozzie will make a trade happen if it works... or tell Troy to shut up if he has to. It's not quite the same as having a starter giving half-effort on every play if we choose not to trade him.

He'll only be a RFA next year.

“Troy and Ozzie have a great relationship,” Harbaugh said. “They talk every single day. I know from a coach’s perspective, I want to keep Troy here as long as we can keep Troy here. Troy Smith is a heck of a quarterback. I know at some point in time, I’m sure he wants to be a starter, but Troy Smith is a Raven, and we’ll try to keep him a Raven as long as we can.”http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/?p=2769

Troy Smith didn't come out and say "I want traded." His agent posted a statement saying he wants traded on Twitter..... not really his fault.

Maybe this will light a fire under Cam's ass to start using the suggs package more since we won't have next yr.

yes, because the Suggs package would have guaranteed us more wins...

Troy you can fess up now...you're ravensnest aren't you?

yes, because the Suggs package would have guaranteed us more wins...

Troy you can fess up now...you're ravensnest aren't you?

Did i say this would guarantee us more wins there Corky? The fact remains are offense was pretty stagnant through the middle of the yr and Suggs package could have jumpstarted it.

And I like how you speculate that I'm Troy Smith...haha... anytime someone says factual evidence (my first post) they get ripped for sticking up for them. Grubber FAIL!

Grubber you know that the Suggs package was very effective when we used it. Troy has both speed and the ability to pass, so just bringing him in for a few plays a game can really throw the defense off. I already said I don't agree with him saying this right now, but really, we should have been using him more, especially during the middle of the season when our offense was less then beautiful.

Another important thing is just the fact that the opposing defense has to learn how to defend the package. So, while we only use it 3 or so plays, they spend a disproportionate amount of time learning how to defend it as opposed to our regular offense. This benefit can not be measured, but definitely is worth mentioning.

Id put his ass on the inactive list.

And if we cut him today would he get the playoff check? because if he ddnt, bye-bye..

Why? Because his agent twittered that Troy wants to be traded so he can get to play? Would you rather a young QB who believes he can be a starter somewhere shut up and be happy about not playing?

I dont think this is a big deal, and while I agree his agent could have waited until the off season I still dont think anything wrong was done. I certainly dont bear any ill will toward Troy. As much as Flacco gets knocked around I certainly wouldnt put Troy on the inactive list. It wouldnt send a message to him, it would just make the Ravens look like assholes.

As for the Suggs package, it has worked well at times when they have used it. I am not sure how effective it would be if it were used every game. If they thought it was going to be successful I dont have a problem with seeing it more. If they just used it to keep Troy happy with a small amount of playing time then I dont think it should be used.

The Suggs package is ok against the lesser disciplined defenses. It is not an every game option. The good D's stop it cold.

I think it's a distraction and way over rated. I'd rather have Flacco under center and Ray Rice beside him. Troy's QB rating for this year is 21.3 with a 2.67 yards per attempt. I don't feel the need to see him in any game.

I believe it's Troy's agent who should get the blame for the timing on this.

Why? Because his agent twittered that Troy wants to be traded so he can get to play? Would you rather a young QB who believes he can be a starter somewhere shut up and be happy about not playing?

Yes!!! He's a 6th round draft pick, shut his yap..And the timing, WTF is that he couldnt wait 2 weeks??

Yes!!! He's a 6th round draft pick, shut his yap..And the timing, WTF is that he couldnt wait 2 weeks??

And that's absolutley no reason to be stupid and cut a player the team may need.