ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Merged: Michael Sam

vmax

• 3 months later...

Breaking News! According, anyway, to the media, a 7th round draft pick was released............. Yes, he may get picked up by another, so stay tuned, we will keep you updated with all the latest 7th round draft picks who get cut or sign with another team, that is, unless they are not gay......

Sorry it bothers you guys.

Bothers is a bit strong, but yes, this was much a do about nothing since he as a 7th round pick. Now, a higher pick? Say 3rd or better I could understand, but this the first to do what ever is getting old. Hasn't man already done everything first? Why seperate by skin color or sexual orientation? Maybe we should find out who was the first bald man to get drafted, the first one to wear glasses or go comando.......

If he wasn't gay it wouldn't be news and that is what I have a problem with. The media chooses to focus on this rather than focusing on those that deserve their focus. FFS, ESPN spent time talking about his showering habits. That is how bad it got! I admire the guy for being true to himself but the media circus that has followed him around just pisses me off. Johnny Football is nearly as bad but at least they are focusing on his football "mostly".

Well everything Jackie Robinson did his first yr was under a microscope too. I think he makes a PS at the min.

well, according to ESPN, per a source, breaking news, he will not be claimed off waivers and free to be the first openly gay black man to sign on some one's practice squad. Then there is the first openly gay blackman to be on an NFL roster. Next, the first openly gay white man, then the openly gay hispanic man, then islander, then, then, then......

well, according to ESPN, per a source, breaking news, he will not be claimed off waivers and free to be the first openly gay black man to sign on some one's practice squad. Then there is the first openly gay blackman to be on an NFL roster. Next, the first openly gay white man, then the openly gay hispanic man, then islander, then, then, then......

I think he makes a PS at the min.

Until "being gay" isn't news, it will be news. But so long as people get upset that he kisses his boyfriend on TV, there will be a story. As long as players have to have news conferences to share that they are gay because it's so unheard of, it will be news.

Deal with it.

Sam was hardly the first late round pick to get media attention, though he certainly got more than most. But if we're honest he also had a stellar career in college that afforded him the stage to make his announcement as well. How many other major division/conference defensive players of the year are picked so late?

I'm tired of people who are tired of this being a news item. We know these networks are in it for clicks and ratings. Johnny M, Yankees, Pats, Kobe, Lebron, Cowboys... They run the same five stories. But we act pages and surprised about it with the Sam story? Those upset at Sam are making this a story.

If he wasn't gay it wouldn't be news and that is what I have a problem with. The media chooses to focus on this rather than focusing on those that deserve their focus. FFS, ESPN spent time talking about his showering habits. That is how bad it got! I admire the guy for being true to himself but the media circus that has followed him around just pisses me off. Johnny Football is nearly as bad but at least they are focusing on his football "mostly".

But that's life. Right now being gay is news because of how unaccepted it is.

How many players get attention just for the team they players for? Or players and coaches get attention for words, not actions? Or attention for arrests or tweets or public outings?

The media plays any story it can get for any reason. Where the outrage at all the other non-sport sport stories?

Bothers is a bit strong, but yes, this was much a do about nothing since he as a 7th round pick. Now, a higher pick? Say 3rd or better I could understand, but this the first to do what ever is getting old. Hasn't man already done everything first? Why seperate by skin color or sexual orientation? Maybe we should find out who was the first bald man to get drafted, the first one to wear glasses or go comando.......

If there was a social, political, etc fight for equality regarding any of those issues they'd be worth talking about.

I hope it works out for him. The Boys are one of the few teams that run a 4-3 and are in serious need of depth. If he can't make it there, he can't make it anywhere.

People are up in arms over the fact he has not been signed yet, blaming it on his sexual orientation, yet they fail to see that only 15 or so teams run a 4-3, only a hndful of those have a need for a defensive end, and he is only a fit for that type of defense.

now I feel sorry for the guy. one of Jones' side show

Eh,a good trade off for him, Rob is one of the better defensive coaches both in game planning and training young players. So he gets great, paid training and only has to feed Jerry's pockets with shirt sales. All those smart people who ran out to get a Sams Rams jerseys now will run out to get Cowboy ones.... Brilliant at what, $75-$150 per.......

Eh,a good trade off for him, Rob is one of the better defensive coaches both in game planning and training young players. So he gets great, paid training and only has to feed Jerry's pockets with shirt sales. All those smart people who ran out to get a Sams Rams jerseys now will run out to get Cowboy ones.... Brilliant at what, $75-$150 per.......

It is going to be a lot more then just jerseys

BREAKING NEWS: Sam added to Cowboys practice squad

There is two things in Texas ................ Jerry Jones has one.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11470688

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Michael Sam "has got a long way to go" but mentioned Baltimore Ravens star Terrell Suggs and five-time Super Bowl champion Charles Haley when discussing the high-profile practice-squad defensive end's knack for rushing the quarterback.

Jones noted that there were also concerns about Suggs' relatively slow 40 times when the Ravens selected him with the 10th overall pick of the 2003 draft. Suggs has 94.5 career sacks and has been selected to six Pro Bowls.

"Slow was a big item, and of course, he's turned out to be one of the greatest pass-rushers the league has ever seen," Jones said. "He has a knack, Suggs. These pass-rushers have a knack."

Jones gives Suggs some big props.