ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Merged: Michael Sam

vmax

http://jeffschultz.blog.ajc.com/2014/09/01/michael-sam-not-being-viewed-as-just-player/

Michael Sam not being viewed as just player

The NFL, like any sports league, would like you to believe it’s not exclusionary. The problem with that expectation is a league can’t speak or act for individual team builders. That’s why Michael Sam is out of a job today — and for anybody who believes Sam’s sexuality has nothing to do with him being out of work today, keep reading.

The St. Louis Rams released the former Missouri defensive lineman, who became the first athlete in history to disclose publicly before the start of his career that he was homosexual. The Rams don’t deserve criticism for cutting Sam because they also drafted him. They’re ahead of the other 31 teams, even if it took until the seventh round and 249th overall selection before the SEC’s 2013 Defensive Player of the Year came off the board.

To this point, no team, including the pass-rush-starved Falcons, has signed Sam to its practice squad. If it stays that way and Sam has to go to Canada or some place to find a job, the NFL should be embarrassed.

Teams can sign 10 players to the practice squad, accounting for 320 jobs. In other words, in a league where pressuring the quarterback is one of the primary objectives, there is no room to this point for a player who won All-American honors at Missouri and accumulated 21 career sacks, including 11½ sacks and 19 tackles for loss as a senior.

When asked if the Falcons considered bringing in Sam, coach Mike Smith said Monday, “We put our practice squad together based on our needs. We felt like that we filled them with the 10 guys that we got. We have a familiarity with the majority of them. They’ve been in our camp and they understand what we are trying to do. They have a very good understanding of our scheme.”

I understand that the Falcons, who will be mostly a 3-4 defense, viewed Sam only as a guy who could play in a 4-3 base with his hand down. But Smith lost me with the first sentence, “We put our practice squad together based on our needs.”

Still don’t believe Sam’s sexuality is a factor? Keep reading.

Statistics in the NFL’s preseason can be misleading. But Sam had three sacks for the Rams. According to NFL.com, only 12 players had at least 2½ sacks. Ten of the 12 are on active rosters and one (San Diego’s Cordarro Law) was signed to the Chargers’ practice squad.

The other is Sam.

I’ll keep going.

There were 49 players in the preseason who recorded at least two sacks: 38 are on active rosters. Five have been signed to practice squads. That leaves six without jobs today. One is Sam. Here are the other five:

• Kaelin Burnett, who was undrafted in 2012, signed and spent two years with the Oakland Raiders and suffered a knee injury in this training camp.

• Marcus Dixon, who has spent time with four teams since 2008, including two years with Dallas.

• Larry English, a former first-round pick who played for San Diego for five years and failed to win a job in camp with Tampa Bay.

• Israel Idonije, who has been in the NFL since 2003 but failed to make the New York Giants’ roster.

• Martez Wilson, who played three years in the league with New Orleans, Oakland and Dallas.

All five have spent time in the league, some for a significant number of seasons. Sam is the only young player, just out of college, coming off a great collegiate career, who logically has a potentially upside. That’s what the league is about, and that’s certainly what the practice squad is about.

The above suggests that, to this point, NFL teams are letting their decision-making be affected by something other than Sam’s playing abilities. The obvious conclusion: There’s concern signing Sam to the practice squad could be too great of a distraction to their team.

It would be nice if this was just about football, like the NFL wants you to believe. But it’s clearly not.

I still don't believe it's about the player being gay. It's more to do with the media circus surrounding Sam. if he was a future pro bowler you would deal with it. But he is a marginal talent at best with limited upside. What team really wants to deal with that media circus for a marginal talent?

It is funny when facts tell a different story.

What facts? I gave you facts, not some stats any one can use to make any, any point. There are some things that can be coached, other thins can not. Just as in college, when he went up against good talent, he did nothing. Only when he faced below average talent, did he get his numbers.

So just why would a team chose to take a one dimensional player and put him on their practice squad when they already have at least one of the same type player? Oh, just because he is gay, right? Just to "prove" what? That his sexuality doesn't matter? If they want to be treated as everyone else, how does giving them specal treatment make them the same?

31 teams saw exactly what I said about him, the Rams thought they could get more out of him by taking him in the 7th. Obviously they realized through months of training ith him, tha what you saw is what you get; an average at best player with little to no upside.

You don't think most teams could use an average player?

Meanwhile, I still find it hard to believe a defensive player of the year magically becomes so horrid that no one wants a part of him. Find me another example from a major conference.

Meanwhile, I still find it hard to believe a defensive player of the year magically becomes so horrid that no one wants a part of him. Find me another example from a major conference.

Sure, they, all teams, have average players. However, they obviously felt during the draft, that other players were a better fit for a variety of reasons. Did some teams not want him because he is gay? Who are we to say yes or no, we cannot know the mind nor heart of some one.

He did not magically become horrid, he made his name in college, ONE YEAR, in a few games against poor teams. Look at his game stats, you will see this to be true. Most people will look at Suggs's stats for last year and think he had a good year. Yet anyone who watched the games knows, he only truly had a few good games and then was non-existant in most of the others for a variety of reasons.

I can show you a number of examples of "great" college players who turned out to be turds in the NFL, one of them a two time heisman winner, we can start with him, Archie Griffith.

Another, a monster in the middle of a defense, won every award for defense allowed, Brian Bosworth.

Those are just two examples and neither is gay, neither is a quarterback, which has long list of great college careers, only to be duds in the NFL.

As long as he can play, that is all that matters!

He has to play well enough to make teams willing to compromise on the fact that he brings a shit load of cameras and media scrutiny to your team. He'd have to be a Pro Bowl level talent now. It seems like teams are willing to take a chance on a player that brings a lot of media (Tebow, Manziel) but not when it brings attention due to a hot button issue like gay rights. Bischotti, Harbs, Ozzie, and Cass may be cool with a gay player on the team but do you think they want to chance on Steve Smith (for example) answering questions about having a gay teammate? Not only is it a major distraction for the team it is a potential Miami Dolphins type PR nightmare scenario. Unfortunate, but true.

Sure, they, all teams, have average players. However, they obviously felt during the draft, that other players were a better fit for a variety of reasons. Did some teams not want him because he is gay? Who are we to say yes or no, we cannot know the mind nor heart of some one.

He did not magically become horrid, he made his name in college, ONE YEAR, in a few games against poor teams. Look at his game stats, you will see this to be true. Most people will look at Suggs's stats for last year and think he had a good year. Yet anyone who watched the games knows, he only truly had a few good games and then was non-existant in most of the others for a variety of reasons.

I can show you a number of examples of "great" college players who turned out to be turds in the NFL, one of them a two time heisman winner, we can start with him, Archie Griffith.

Another, a monster in the middle of a defense, won every award for defense allowed, Brian Bosworth.

Those are just two examples and neither is gay, neither is a quarterback, which has long list of great college careers, only to be duds in the NFL.

There are plenty of duds... of course.

But to my recollection, both were on teams in the NFL. No one went running from them BEFORE their first NFL game.

He has to play well enough to make teams willing to compromise on the fact that he brings a shit load of cameras and media scrutiny to your team. He'd have to be a Pro Bowl level talent now. It seems like teams are willing to take a chance on a player that brings a lot of media (Tebow, Manziel) but not when it brings attention due to a hot button issue like gay rights. Bischotti, Harbs, Ozzie, and Cass may be cool with a gay player on the team but do you think they want to chance on Steve Smith (for example) answering questions about having a gay teammate? Not only is it a major distraction for the team it is a potential Miami Dolphins type PR nightmare scenario. Unfortunate, but true.

You know, I understand this... but this will be the case until it's not "news" ... and it's going to be news until someone breaks the mold. It's a cycle. And it's a pathetic one.

The fact is - we know very little about how good or bad Sam would be as a player because no one is giving him a real shot, in my view. He could be Brian Bosworth. He could be Terrell Suggs.

Teams bring on all kinds of media crap, as you say. I'm tired of this "PR" bullshit and this "team chemistry" bull too. Team chemistry was used to DEFEND Richie Incognito. But then it's also used to exclude others. So it cuts both ways... or in other words, it can be manipulated to defend virtually any stance. How about someone do what's right more than do what's convenient.

You know, I understand this... but this will be the case until it's not "news" ... and it's going to be news until someone breaks the mold. It's a cycle. And it's a pathetic one.

The fact is - we know very little about how good or bad Sam would be as a player because no one is giving him a real shot, in my view. He could be Brian Bosworth. He could be Terrell Suggs.

Teams bring on all kinds of media crap, as you say. I'm tired of this "PR" bullshit and this "team chemistry" bull too. Team chemistry was used to DEFEND Richie Incognito. But then it's also used to exclude others. So it cuts both ways... or in other words, it can be manipulated to defend virtually any stance. How about someone do what's right more than do what's convenient.

I agree with everything you said. Sam should get a real shot - he is not getting one now. As far as someone stepping up and doing the right thing..how strongly do NFL fans feel about that? Do they feel strongly enough to make a statement with their wallets and remotes? I am about as pro gay rights as they come but even I am only slightly disappointed that my favorite team, the Ravens, passed on Sam twice. I still signed up for Sunday Ticket, i still tuned in Thursday night for the opener, and I'm still playing fantasy football. The Ravens would have been a franchise you would expect to lead on this - the coach is established, the front office is stable and our best past rusher is past his prime.

One of the most influential coaches in the NFL, Fisher was only willing to go as far as to draft Sam with his team's last pick and i'm sure he only did it to protect the League from the embarrassment of having a gay college star going undrafted. The Rams are stacked with pass rushers and in the end even Fisher did what was best for himself/his team but cutting Sam in favor of adding depth at other positions. If guys like Fisher and Harbs aren't going to what's "right" and even the most liberal/progressive fans (myself included) aren't changing our buying/view habits then don't expect anything to change anytime soon.

Sad to say, but in hindsight Sam would have been better off not saying anything and coming out once he was established on a team. Gay prospects coming out of college will take note and we probably won't see another player of Sam's caliber or better coming out right before the draft for a while.

There are plenty of duds... of course.

But to my recollection, both were on teams in the NFL. No one went running from them BEFORE their first NFL game.

Sams was and currently is ona team now, your point? The Rams, as I said, spent months with him and aaw no further potential. In the cases I sites, those players were drafted higher because they have longer college careers, more body of work. In Bos's case, the roids caught up to hm, his body gave out.....

I agree with everything you said. Sam should get a real shot - he is not getting one now. As far as someone stepping up and doing the right thing..how strongly do NFL fans feel about that? Do they feel strongly enough to make a statement with their wallets and remotes? I am about as pro gay rights as they come but even I am only slightly disappointed that my favorite team, the Ravens, passed on Sam twice. I still signed up for Sunday Ticket, i still tuned in Thursday night for the opener, and I'm still playing fantasy football. The Ravens would have been a franchise you would expect to lead on this - the coach is established, the front office is stable and our best past rusher is past his prime.

One of the most influential coaches in the NFL, Fisher was only willing to go as far as to draft Sam with his team's last pick and i'm sure he only did it to protect the League from the embarrassment of having a gay college star going undrafted. The Rams are stacked with pass rushers and in the end even Fisher did what was best for himself/his team but cutting Sam in favor of adding depth at other positions. If guys like Fisher and Harbs aren't going to what's "right" and even the most liberal/progressive fans (myself included) aren't changing our buying/view habits then don't expect anything to change anytime soon.

Sad to say, but in hindsight Sam would have been better off not saying anything and coming out once he was established on a team. Gay prospects coming out of college will take note and we probably won't see another player of Sam's caliber or better coming out right before the draft for a while.

It is my belief, and I stated then, that Sams only came out for the publicty, to try and force a higher draft status. His combine and personal work outs showed he should not be drafted. My belief was raised higher by the news that before the draft, he inked a deal with Opie for a tv show......

Before the work outs, he was a likely 3rd- 4th round pick. Then they saw how slow he was, how unathletic he was at his work outs. His height, weight, strenght and arm length all = average at best.

What did he do to get bad karma?

Freud is looking for his slip. I guess it was karma to be drafted by a team that is so completely stacked at that position. If Sam was a QB I think he would still be there now. Hmm I wonder why though?

Point.

What facts? I gave you facts, not some stats any one can use to make any, any point. There are some things that can be coached, other thins can not. Just as in college, when he went up against good talent, he did nothing. Only when he faced below average talent, did he get his numbers.

So just why would a team chose to take a one dimensional player and put him on their practice squad when they already have at least one of the same type player? Oh, just because he is gay, right? Just to "prove" what? That his sexuality doesn't matter? If they want to be treated as everyone else, how does giving them specal treatment make them the same?

31 teams saw exactly what I said about him, the Rams thought they could get more out of him by taking him in the 7th. Obviously they realized through months of training ith him, tha what you saw is what you get; an average at best player with little to no upside.

No those are facts. He broke the numbers down and showed how there was a difference in how Sam was treated.

It is my belief, and I stated then, that Sams only came out for the publicty, to try and force a higher draft status. His combine and personal work outs showed he should not be drafted. My belief was raised higher by the news that before the draft, he inked a deal with Opie for a tv show......

Before the work outs, he was a likely 3rd- 4th round pick. Then they saw how slow he was, how unathletic he was at his work outs. His height, weight, strenght and arm length all = average at best.

First, I wouldn't doubt if he came out of the publicity. But at the same time, my entire argument is that until "coming out" isn't a publicity stunt - that was going to happen regardless. I don't really care why he came out. He shouldn't have to anyway.

But more importantly, I completely understand that you don't think he's a worthy player. And he may well not be. But I very simply cannot believe that, as you say, his sexuality had 0% to do with the decision. Any argument to the contrary is naive; given that it's all anyone ever has to say about him (most, like Crav, can't criticize his play without criticizing his taste in partners) how can it not be a factor?

First, I wouldn't doubt if he came out of the publicity. But at the same time, my entire argument is that until "coming out" isn't a publicity stunt - that was going to happen regardless. I don't really care why he came out. He shouldn't have to anyway.

But more importantly, I completely understand that you don't think he's a worthy player. And he may well not be. But I very simply cannot believe that, as you say, his sexuality had 0% to do with the decision. Any argument to the contrary is naive; given that it's all anyone ever has to say about him (most, like Crav, can't criticize his play without criticizing his taste in partners) how can it not be a factor?

:thumbup: