ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

RAVENS SIGN STALLWORTH

ForceEight

I want to puke.

Just nine days after being reinstated by Commissioner Roger Goodell from a one-year suspension, the Ravens have put Donte' Stallworth on their roster.

PFT's Mike Florio reports that Stallworth will make $900,000 on a one-year contract. He can also earn up to $300,000 in playing time incentives.

SI's Peter King first tweeted the news that Stallworth will sign, and we can confirm the deal is done.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/17/stallworth-signs-with-ravens/

This is a low risk, potentially high reward-type of deal. As long as Stallworth is in shape and still has his world class speed, this could be a really good move. I wouldn't expect huge numbers from him, but if he can connect with Joe for a big play or two a game, his speed will keep defenses honest. More than anything this move tells me that Ozzie is serious about finding talent at wide receiver and is exploring all routes to get that job done.

This is a low risk, potentially high reward-type of deal. As long as Stallworth is in shape and still has his world class speed, this could be a really good move. I wouldn't expect huge numbers from him, but if he can connect with Joe for a big play or two a game, his speed will keep defenses honest. More than anything this move tells me that Ozzie is serious about finding talent at wide receiver and is exploring all routes to get that job done.

what he said, plus u know if he was on the market another day daniel synder would have paid him 5 million dollars

I LOVE this move. Extremely low risk at that price, especially considering in 2008 the Browns gave him a 7 Year- $35 Million dollar deal. He has great speed as everyone knows, which is definitely something that was lacking in our offense last year. He fucked up, but I don't completely blame him for the situation he was in, I mean the guy he killed ran across the road at night and it wasn't at a crosswalk. Donte has done his time and suffered severe consequences, so I have no ill-will towards him.

He killed a man and did three weeks in jail; what severe consequences were there? And how can anyone not completely blame him?

I'm sorry, but there's a difference between taking on someone with character issues and taking on a bona-fide killer. Donte Stallworth is a bona-fide killer.

And, yes, I should support my players. He, however, is not my player. Nor will he ever be.

He killed a man and did three weeks in jail; what severe consequences were there? And how can anyone not completely blame him?

I'm sorry, but there's a difference between taking on someone with character issues and taking on a bona-fide killer. Donte Stallworth is a bona-fide killer.

And, yes, I should support my players. He, however, is not my player. Nor will he ever be.

I don't consider someone driving down a highway and having an idiot run across in front of your car a 'bona-fide killer', but we can agree to disagree I guess.

I don't consider someone driving down a highway and having an idiot run across in front of your car a 'bona-fide killer', but we can agree to disagree I guess.

How many of us have gotten behind the wheel and shouldn't have in some point in our lives? How many text message and talk on your phone while driving knowing it can cause accidents? Only difference is we were lucky.

You are right, there is a difference between someone with bad character and what happened to Stallworth. Someone with bad character is habitually bad, thus they are constantly vulnerable to getting in trouble. Stallworth is a guy with a clean past who made one bad mistake. Like BMoreHon said, many of us have made this exact same mistake, we just got lucky. Stallworth is not a habitually bad person. And how is he a bona-fide killer? He killing was not malicious in any way. It is not like he is going to drive drunk and purposely kill someone again. He paid his price to society.

You are right, there is a difference between someone with bad character and what happened to Stallworth. Someone with bad character is habitually bad, thus they are constantly vulnerable to getting in trouble. Stallworth is a guy with a clean past who made one bad mistake. Like BMoreHon said, many of us have made this exact same mistake, we just got lucky. Stallworth is not a habitually bad person. And how is he a bona-fide killer? He killing was not malicious in any way. It is not like he is going to drive drunk and purposely kill someone again. He paid his price to society.

I hope not. I am with Force on this one.

At least it is my hope that Marshall is a no way now, no need for more thugs.

Force you sound like I did before I learned all the facts of his case. I saw an E:60 piece on this a few months back and it completely changed my opinion of him. You could tell from his demeanor that the fact he was in part responsible for this man's death weighed heavily on him. I say "in part" because if you review the circumstances of his victim's death, it's clear the victim was at fault as well. He was allegedly running across a six lane highway. You don't have to be impaired to hit someone doing that. On top of that, Stallworth was doing 50 in a 40 - not exactly reckless driving. It's up in the air whether Stallworth could have avoided this guy if he was completely sober.

I'm not trying to excuse the fact that he got behind he wheel drunk, or that he struck and killed a man while doing so, but to call him a bona-fide killer is way off base.

You would be pretty naive if you did not recognize how many people make the mistake of driving when they shouldn't be on a daily basis. Whether it be sleepy, drunk, buzzed, tipsy, whatever.

And you would be pretty naive if you thought that that was anywhere near the right thing to do.

There are some things that you simply do not do. Driving drunk is one of them. You know why? Because you can KILL someone. And that's exactly what he did. I have no respect for him, and I have no desire to consider his measly jail sentence and community service as any form of payment for what he did.

I suspect that, had it been the life of someone any of you know and love, you'd feel the same way.

And you would be pretty naive if you thought that that was anywhere near the right thing to do.

There are some things that you simply do not do. Driving drunk is one of them. You know why? Because you can KILL someone. And that's exactly what he did. I have no respect for him, and I have no desire to consider his measly jail sentence and community service as any form of payment for what he did.

I suspect that, had it been the life of someone any of you know and love, you'd feel the same way.

I'm shocked that you've never been behind a wheel at a time where you would've failed a sobriety test. This is an extremely common occurrence, and by that I mean many people have been in that situation at least once. Overreacting to this is like how grandparents talk about marijuana as if it's uncommon and the most evil thing in the world, when we actually realize how common it is. The people I've been exposed to who would drive a little too soon after driving a drink are not habitually bad or troublesome... they're just regular people.

Like someone said earlier, Stallworth got extremely unlucky at the result. I would take that anyday over pushing a meter maid out of the way with my car or shooting myself in the leg in public. THOSE are character concerns. I bet over 50% of NFL players have driven or rode with someone "under the influence" at some point in their lives. We can't demonize everyone.

Ozzi9e found this years LJ Smith.

He's not even an upgrade over Clayton and Williams. Due to injuries he couldn't get on the field before he missed all of last season. He'll be 30 this year and the game has passed him by. He won't be suiting up for even half the games.

I'm shocked that you've never been behind a wheel at a time where you would've failed a sobriety test. This is an extremely common occurrence, and by that I mean many people have been in that situation at least once. Overreacting to this is like how grandparents talk about marijuana as if it's uncommon and the most evil thing in the world, when we actually realize how common it is. The people I've been exposed to who would drive a little too soon after driving a drink are not habitually bad or troublesome... they're just regular people.

Like someone said earlier, Stallworth got extremely unlucky at the result. I would take that anyday over pushing a meter maid out of the way with my car or shooting myself in the leg in public. THOSE are character concerns. I bet over 50% of NFL players have driven or rode with someone "under the influence" at some point in their lives. We can't demonize everyone.

There comes a point where "everyone does it" doesn't apply anymore. Driving under the influence is at that point.

I don't care who does drive under the influence, and I don't care how lucky or unlucky anyone classifies them as opposed to Stallworth, simply because they didn't happen to hit and kill a man. I have no respect for any of them. And, for the sake of your argument, I've never driven under the influence of alcohol; I don't drink in the first place.

Ozzie might drive me to it, though.