ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Preston: It’s time for the Ravens and Lamar Jackson to part ways

vmax

Man what a pickle this team is in right now.

They were good qb play away from being, going further in the playoffs. Safran, Phili too boot.

Pay Lamar, hoe many players are lost to free agency because of cap? Sure, they might be able to structure a deal in a way that gives them cap help in the first year or two, thus hang onto the players needed to keep this team in the playoffs.

Maybe that is the hold up in the contract talks with Lamar, the structure?

Or

Tag & trade him, boost the depth, add weapons through the draft, easier said than done sometimes.

Bring in Carr, Mayfield, Smith to give the team possibly good enough qb play to go along with the running game, the defense, bolstered by all of the draft picks.

Those deals would have to be what, 1-5 pending, years, low at first, big signing bonus if five years. Still not the 45-50 mil tag hit Lamar would cost.

Frankly, as we've talked about here, let Lamar walk, 3-5 years we are back here talking about the same thing if the qb turns out to be mvp worthy.... oy

Yeah, it's a mess for sure. I still think the best course is to trade Lamar for picks and sign one of the bridge quarterbacks you mentioned above. It's the only way I know to keep enough talent to keep the team in a SB window for several years.

Look, I love what Lamar did for us a couple of years ago and before. He was a scintillating player who excited the whole town. But $200 million+ guaranteed is way too much for any player. Cleveland ruined the pay scale for quarterbacks with what they gave Watson.

All that being said, IF Lamar could be convinced to tone down his asking price and structure his contract for the cap, I'd love to have him back.

But, otherwise, let him walk for picks!

Kc & Mahomes is going to be a good ledger to watch, he is slated to count $46 mil (20%) against their cap this coming year, as they get into the meat years of his deal. He was $36 mil against their cap this past year.

They let a top qr go because they could not afford him, now that everyone has a super bowl ring or two, the others are going to want to be paid now. Currently they have just $11 mil in cap space up coming...

• Like 1

I'm curious how many players do not have agents representing them.  Worked out fine for Roquan, but Lamar is content playing this game.  If he chooses to see how Burrows/Hurts plays out, then who gets screwed then?  Jackson or the Ravens?

Teams are winning without a player like Jackson, but the Ravens can't seem to win without him.  With a new offensive philosophy (fingers crossed), I'm thinking we move on from Jackson, although I'd rather see what he can do under a new system with us.  If he continues to demand top dollar, well...

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Found this, quite interesting, from Sept 2022

In a league with more than 2,000 players, Lamar Jackson is one of only 17 currently acting as their own agent, according to the NFLPA

The list includes high-profile names such as Bobby Wagner, DeAndre Hopkins and Jacoby Brissett,Former Super Bowl champions Richard Sherman, Russell Okung and Hall of Famer Edgerrin James have also done it in the past.

https://www.whas11.com/article/sports/nfl-without-agent-lamar-jackson-dj-humphries-bobby-wagner-kaiir-elam-football/417-cd5fcc4c-58f3-4682-8eb2-028ec8b18e34

That’s because more than simply saving money, choosing to play this chess game alone requires a player being willing to carve out the extra time off the field.

That’s a lesson Arizona Cardinals offensive tackle D.J. Humphries learned when he negotiated an extension this offseason that will pay him more than $30 million in guaranteed money over the next three years.

He is on a list of 13 active players who didn’t use an agent in their current deals, but have employed one in the past.

“Tough. I probably wouldn’t do it again," Humphries said. “It was something I wanted to do. When I’m done (playing football), I want to be a businessman, so being able to do one of the biggest deals on my own for the first time, that was huge for me.”

Jackson said; “No, not at all," he said. “I’m a different player than any of the other players who represented themselves.”

Smith and Carr will cost a ton. Maybe 75-80% of what Lamar will cost. Smith wants to play in Seattle. Maybe Monken can make something out of Carr. There are rumors that the Bears will draft Bryce Young making Fields available. He will cost draft picks. 

In the end, it looks like the guaranteed money will determine if Lamar gets signed or traded.

lamar can make himself the highest paid QB in the NFL and start for a team that is Super Bowl ready.

4 hours ago, GrubberRaven said:

I'm curious how many players do not have agents representing them.  Worked out fine for Roquan, but Lamar is content playing this game.  If he chooses to see how Burrows/Hurts plays out, then who gets screwed then?  Jackson or the Ravens?

Teams are winning without a player like Jackson, but the Ravens can't seem to win without him.  With a new offensive philosophy (fingers crossed), I'm thinking we move on from Jackson, although I'd rather see what he can do under a new system with us.  If he continues to demand top dollar, well...

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Hiring Monken now to fix Lamar is to little to late.  It should have been done under his rookie deal.  You want to make the evaluation then.

46 minutes ago, vmax said:

Smith and Carr will cost a ton. Maybe 75-80% of what Lamar will cost. Smith wants to play in Seattle. Maybe Monken can make something out of Carr. There are rumors that the Bears will draft Bryce Young making Fields available. He will cost draft picks. 

In the end, it looks like the guaranteed money will determine if Lamar gets signed or traded.

lamar can make himself the highest paid QB in the NFL and start for a team that is Super Bowl ready.

The Bears are feigning drafting a QB to draw interest in a trade.  Houston should call their bluff.  If you are behind them and you want to beat out the Texans for your QB you make that trade. 

There is no way Lamar is in Mahomes territory.   Pat is a unicorn.

Look at San Fran, they have 3 qbs yet have none. They are in cap hell this year because of huge signings and have just over 8 mil to spend, this year. They need that just to sign draft picks, which they have less thanks to trading for McCafery.

They still need to sign Bosa, having a big, key part of their defense, Ward, a safety to sign. Sure, next year cap wise the 54 mil dead money will be off of their books, but still..

The Rams are not much better, having sold their souls for a Super Bowl. San Fran tried that and went through 3 qbs before being eliminated. Neither team has picks to boost their depth, or to build their team cheaply.

Tampa is even worse...cap wise and do not have a defense nor qb.

Do we want to be them? Give up key players just to have an "mvp" qb?

Can a team win it all with an average qb? 🤔

The guaranteed money is the issue. I think the Ravens want to make Lamar the highest paid QB but choke on guaranteeing all of it. It feels like Lamar is trying to make history for all the players by getting a guaranteed contract.  Once the Browns gave that to Watson they opened that door. A few more guaranteed contracts and the NFL will never be able to close it. So, Lamar is "taking it on the chin" for all players.

Max you make a good point but methinks this is more about Lamar than his doing something for the good of the NFLPA.

I have to agree with Tsyl on this. Time to re-do our quarterback position. Otherwise, Lamar will just not practice until the season starts when he would begin to lose paychecks and our new offensive coordinator would start off his job with major heartburn.

There's some decent 'bridge' quarterbacks out there that could tide us over until our new franchise quarterback matures. It seems every year there are more college quarterbacks making a good transition to the pros.

I hate that it has come down to this but you can blame the Brownies and the Watson deal for this.

• Like 1