ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Preston: It’s time for the Ravens and Lamar Jackson to part ways

vmax

My thinking now and will only be proven if he is traded and signed elsewhere, is that he DOESN'T want to be a Raven and wants off the team.  If so, he'll take a reasonable contract elsewhere, but is making these claims only because of those intentions.  If he has made those counter offers, he's forcing the Raven's hand.  EDC will gladly take draft capital, in a lean picks year.

Pure speculation since NO ONE really knows.  

I feel like if the other top tier QBs (Hurts/Burrow) sign less guaranteed contracts then maybe that makes Lamar come down, IF he wants to stay.

At this point, Lamar can go.  He's gone from "Winning a Super Bowl" to "Show me the money".  

Yep, if the reports are true, it is very disingenuous of Lamar to raise his starting point in negotiations. Either that or he and his camp are complete idiots when it comes to negotiations.

You don't establish a precedent for qb contracts like this. There is no way the Biscuit and the other owners want this type of contract garbage to be established.

Players have contract insurance or should, for a reason.

Why do we act like Lamar is the only way we can win?  We've had him for five years and he's won ONE playoff game.  While I initially enjoyed the excitement he brought to the offense, he never grew, but the Ravens failed in developing a system to help him grow, or mainly, Roman did.

• Upvote 1

It kills me when media brings up the winning % when Lamar is on vs when he is off of the field. No duh, as if any team could win Huntley, consistently.

What has been proven is that with competent qb play, this team is championship worthy.

It has and can win without Lamar, especially with all of the cap room, and draft picks this team will have when they trade him.

He has clearly shown that he struggles on cold & wet days. That he is inconsistent with outside the number passes & down field. Oh yes, he has also shown how immature he is, even at his age. Goom bye

2 hours ago, tsylvester said:

It kills me when media brings up the winning % when Lamar is on vs when he is off of the field. No duh, as if any team could win Huntley, consistently.

What has been proven is that with competent qb play, this team is championship worthy.

It has and can win without Lamar, especially with all of the cap room, and draft picks this team will have when they trade him.

He has clearly shown that he struggles on cold & wet days. That he is inconsistent with outside the number passes & down field. Oh yes, he has also shown how immature he is, even at his age. Goom bye

Total agreement with this. In fact, I don't know why they're even waiting. Deal him ASAP! The only thing I worry about is that no other owner would be dumb enough to pay him $230 million guaranteed and then we're stuck with him sitting out while we're paying $45 million for the franchise tag.

2 minutes ago, oldno82 said:

Total agreement with this. In fact, I don't know why they're even waiting. Deal him ASAP! The only thing I worry about is that no other owner would be dumb enough to pay him $230 million guaranteed and then we're stuck with him sitting out while we're paying $45 million for the franchise tag.

Yep, they can't trade him until the league year begins, March 15th, but they have to tag him or designate him for a tag to say it better, by March 7th. So at least we will know that much in a week or so...

Hold the phone steady, a shot from the bow (sic) wow of the Lamar boat

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/24/lamar-jacksons-camp-leaks-some-information-to-stephen-a-smith/

The Ravens have stayed quiet regarding the offers that previously have been made to quarterback Lamar Jackson. Jackson has not been quiet, directly or indirectly leaking bits and pieces of the negotiations to the media.

On Friday’s First Take on ESPN, Stephen A. Smith said that Jackson’s camp reached out with some specific information.

First, Smith said that Jackson’s camp claims that Jackson has never demanded a fully-guaranteed contract from the Ravens.

If that’s true (and, frankly, I don’t think it is), why hasn’t that come out sooner? For months, it’s been believed that Jackson wants the same structure as Deshaun Watson.

Five years, fully guaranteed.

Indeed, the NFL Players Association filed a grievance last season accusing teams of colluding to not give “certain quarterbacks” (e.g., Lamar Jackson) fully-guaranteed contracts. And the NFLPA definitely has been assisting Jackson in his negotiations with the Ravens, since Jackson doesn’t have an agent.

So, no, I don’t believe the contention that Lamar never asked for a fully-guaranteed contract is true.

Second, Smith said something that both Chris Mortensen reported in September and Ryan Clark reiterated in January. The Ravens’ best offer before the 2022 season included $133 million fully guaranteed.

As explained last month, it’s IMPOSSIBLE to properly evaluate the fairness of an offer without knowing more than the amount that would have been fully guaranteed at signing. The most important piece of information that Jackson and/or the NFLPA have not yet leaked to Mortensen, Clark, Smith and/or any other ESPN reporter or personality is this — how much more money initially guaranteed for injury would have become fully guaranteed in March 2023?

That amount, whether $5 million or $50 million or somewhere in between, becomes part of the practical guarantee at signing, because the Ravens weren’t going to cut him after giving him $133 million for one season. Thus, without knowing it, we don’t know the truth about the Baltimore offer.

I don't know how much of this is bullshit or not...I do know I have lost confidence in Lamar and $133 million or not does not matter to me; I still want him gone. This whole thing has become a mess and the best way to deal with a mess is to clean the room.

Just give me the draft picks and a decent FA QB for a bridge and I'll be happy.

How does that saying go, there are lies then there are damn lies.

The sudden notion that Lamar Jackson doesn’t want a fully-guaranteed contract directly disputes the content of an important interview that NFL Players Association DeMaurice Smith recently had with The Pivot podcast. The entire premise of the conversation regarding guaranteed contracts was that the NFLPA is helping Lamar Jackson get a fully-guaranteed contract that will “bookend” (as Smith said it) the Watson deal, and in turn lay the foundation for other quarterbacks to secure fully-guaranteed deals too

Now that is quite disappointing, disingenuous, quite a play on words. But why could that be?

There are three possible explanations for the recent report. One, the information provided to Smith is incorrect. Two, Jackson wants a fully-guaranteed contract, but is claiming otherwise for P.R. reasons. Three, Jackson has changed his mind about wanting a fully-guaranteed contract.

My guess is #2, as in that poop that comes out after a spicy, greasy meal that not only melts your tush hole, but the wall paper off the walls and stinks so bad the EPA shows up to arrest you for serious air pollution violations.

Yes, he, Lamar does not want to scare away any potential trade partners, so he had to stay here.

Using the NFLPA, who has many goals, one of them is to get the most money for all of the players, to set precedent with contracts. Hey, I am all for equal pay, women's  rights, fair hiring practices, but to use a player who clearly does not understand all that a contract like that will do to the game going forward is poor management.

Good luck.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/26/recent-demaurice-smith-interview-made-it-clear-that-lamar-jackson-wants-a-fully-guaranteed-deal/

Yeah I know what you mean...most of what the NFLPA has wanted in the past, especially in regard to player safety and a solid floor under salaries, I agree with. But a fully guaranteed contract like Watson's is an outlier that should be allowed a quiet death not a bookend to a deal for Lamar who has one playoff win in the 5 years he's been here. Now football being a team game, it has to be said that I wouldn't be fair to Lamar if I didn't add he has had a pretty sad crew of wide receivers to work with. But he also gets sick and injured a lot and it wouldn't be fair to give him an outsized guaranteed deal.

I'd be interested in seeing what a Monken could do with him but not to the point of offering him nearly $150 million plus, guaranteed.

As you pointed out, the 7th of March is approaching. Right on the heels of the combine where Eric can hob nob with other GMs and see what a trade might potentially be worth to the Ravens.

I'll wait until then and then we'll see, hopefully, some clarity in this very blurry situation.

Today..  more of the same....

Jeff Zrebiec • TweetShift
BOT
 — Today at 1:02 PM
DeCosta said he’s not going to discuss specifics about contract asks and offers. Said that’s agreement made with Jackson two years ago when this process started.

Ravens GM Eric DeCosta: "You can't win in this league without a strong quarterback. We want Lamar here. We want him back. Living in a world without a quarterback is a bad world to live in.”

Edited by vmax

46 minutes ago, vmax said:

Today..  more of the same....

Jeff Zrebiec • TweetShift
BOT
 — Today at 1:02 PM
DeCosta said he’s not going to discuss specifics about contract asks and offers. Said that’s agreement made with Jackson two years ago when this process started.

My bet, Kodak Black( who has broken his probation and is now ordered to get drug counseling) is the leak in the call to Stephen A Smith. Just a guess...

Harbs was very optimistic about Lamar being a Raven. Then he waffled by saying he wants what's best for Lamar and for the Ravens. 

John Harbaugh said he’s been texting with Lamar Jackson here and there. “He’s my quarterback. He’s my guy. Our plans are with Lamar.”